Thursday, December 12, 2013

Home Sweet Home.....Then Back to Richmond

I finished up my 7th day of Vidaza chemo on Tuesday.  Afterwards they gave me a double bag of platelets and sent me on my way.  Mom drove us on home and we arrived in time to make Katie's winter chorus concert.  It was really nice to hear them all sing Christmas music - they did a great job.  And it is hard to believe she is an 8th grader and will be at the high school with her brother next year!

The plan was to spend Tuesday and Wednesday night at home, and attend Chris' orcehstra concert on Wednesday.  Unfortunately the pain in my backside has gotten very bad and it is hard to control the pain with Tylemol and Dilaudid.  I have been struggling trying to get used to the pain med, but it doesn't seem to help that much and yesterday (Wednesday) it made me very sick.  So I couldn't make Chris' concert which was very upsetting, but I did get to see him head off in his tux - oh wow, he is so grown up and handsome.  Brant said they did a really great job.

Mom & I left this morning after kissing the kids goodbye as they went to school.  It took an extra hour to get here due to an accident on the one day I didn't check Google maps for traffic issues.  That really felt good on my bum - not!!  I was pretty much in agony by the time we got here and one of the Nurse Practiioners checked me out.  She was concerned that my hemorroid has progressed into a wound that isn't healing (due to low white counts) and so they started me on antibiotics and planned to admit me.  Well, the whole hospital is full - seriously - so I got my first round of three different antibiotics and then some platelets in clininc and then they sent me "home" to the Hospitality House.  Home health delivered my antibiotics so I could take them on my own.  Mom was fixing  an awesome dinner (it isn't easy to fix steak on a hot plate) when they called to say a room opened up on Critcal Care 2.  So we ate quickly and then headed over to the hospital.  I am all settled in on the floor where I started my treatments back in April.   It is nice seeing some of my old nurses and the rooms are definitely nicer here than on the transplant floor.  Maybe I can use the treadmill again for fun! But the doctors from the transplant floor will still be covering my care while I am here.

My pain is much better tonight.  They switched me from Dilaudid to Morphine.  Dilaudid is supposed to be stronger, but apparently not in my system.  It made me loopy but I still felt the pain just fine.  The morphine has taken my pain without needing a super heavy dose.  I am supposed to get a consult tomorrow with an oncology surgeon and maybe also the wound care team.  I am hopeful that they will get this problem under control so I don't need any pain meds and I can focus my healing energies on leukemia.

I was hoping to be home again this weekend, but that isn't looking too promising.  Honestly I am so worn out from the pain that I am happy to stay here and get the issues resolved.  It will be much nicer to be at home when I am feeling better.  Thanks for the continued support - I love the comments I get here on the blog as well as the emails and texts sent my way.  And everytime I go home there is a nice stack of cards or a package waiting for me.  I am so blessed with such support!! Love you all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though You have had a rough few days, Rachel, you have shown appreciation for your care and the love that surrounds you. We're looking ahead to some better days and thanking God for the blessings of your faithful family.
Mother

Anonymous said...

HI Rachel, we are thinking of you and love you very much. Praying the antibiotics work fast! I hope to see you on Christmas. Cousin Kim

Anonymous said...

Rachel, it is so good to see you back blogging. I was about to call your folks to see how you were.I check every day and pray for you all. We had a big snowstorm today. About 15 inches of powder.Cindy and Ariana are due in on the 19th. Hopefully the weather will be good. Richard is out in the front-end loader plowing the driveway. God bles you and greet your folks for me. Love, Cheryl H.

Anonymous said...

Rach,
I miss you. I pray for your speedy recover everyday! I hope you continue not having pain. I hope you go home for Christmas.
Love,
Donna C.