Thursday, April 24, 2014

One Year Anniversary

It is hard to believe that one year ago we walked thru the doors of the Massey Cancer Center Bone Marrow Transplant clinic and were in a hospital room that night.  What a blur it all was - less than two weeks between when I first felt sick (weak) and having to choose where to receive treatment for a disease I didn't really even understand.  We were so scared, confused, anxious....you name it. Yet now we have gone thru an entire calendar year of holidays and milestones, of tears and of celebrations.  Although I am not free of this disease as I had hoped, I am so thankful to be sitting here at home typing this in relatively good health.  If you look at the statistics for secondary AML (which I do not recommend), I am a major success at being a 1 year OS (overall survival) data point.  Next goal: 2 year DF (disease free) data point.


I am so glad we chose VCU.   It was tough to know what to do.  People said Duke or Hopkins, we also considered going back to Sloan Kettering in NYC where I was treated in 2007.  But Richmond seemed to fit.  The team of four doctors has been wonderful and I feel like my case is handled with more individuality than at a larger center.  The nurses are like our extended family, and the other patients really form friendships with you as we keep up with each other's progress.  Virginia is fortunate to have such a good cancer center available to us - I just wish it could be in Hampton Roads!!  We do know I-64 very well by now!


I am still having a good week.  The prednisone is causing me lots of water gain so I feel like I have elephant legs and feet.  They called yesterday and reduced my dose some, hopefully at clinic tomorrow I will be reduced even more.  I can't sleep very well and you probably don't want to get in a conversation with me right now as I am totally wired.  Another exciting tidbit is that my blood type has officially switched over - I am now a male B+ blood type thanks to George's cells taking over completely.  It took a while, but we are getting there.


Why is it so hard to believe in miracles??  As we approach next week's biopsy I am so hopeful that it will show good strong marrow and no signs of leukemia.  We pray for this daily. We tell God that we know and trust he can do anything - beat the odds, make it happen when science says it can't.  I have been feeling so good and all of the signs are pointing that way. Yet I find myself still full of fear and scared to let myself believe it could actually happen.  It's like it is easier to trust when things are looking bad than to believe when things are looking good.  I have images of God being a tad bit exasperated with me...."You've been asking.....did you think I wasn't listening?".  Anyway, I will quit rambling, I just find it odd that sometimes I am most scared when things are going most well.


Here's to the start of another year!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So grateful to be reading your post at the one year mile post.

Great to hear the blood has swapped over - about time those cells got to work!

Love,
George A

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to hearing the biopsy results. Did you make it to the gym yet? You inspired me to drag myself out into the sunshine for some exercise. Linda A.

Anonymous said...

When we're feeling good, we fear losing that. You are strong and full of faith that has and will get you to that next goal. So glad you are feeling good. VCU rocks :-)

Carol E.

Unknown said...

It's Jim Wright. Great to hear the progress and we'll be hopeful for the biopsy. God is sovereign! Soverign indeed! Bro Jim