Sunday, July 8, 2007

So What's Next??

It has been over 2 months since my transplant and things are going well. I still have a few problems with my stomach and the process of losing my fingernails is aggravating, but it already seems like such a long time ago that I was in the hospital. Life really does just keep on going, even when it feels like your whole world has come to a stop to deal with something big….

I find myself wondering what is next. Surviving this battle with cancer has been such a huge blessing and I feel a need to give back in some way. Lance Armstrong describes it as “the obligation of the cured” - the idea that those who survive cancer should help others do the same. And at church a few weeks ago we had an excellent sermon on surviving difficult times in life by finding God’s purpose in everything that comes our way. I feel very strongly that God has a purpose for me as a result of this trial. Hopefully I am a better person and more appreciative of life. Certainly the extra time I have by not returning to work will allow us to be closer as a family. But while I have focused on healing and our family these last two months, I have felt there is still more for me to do. I am praying that soon I will see how the pieces of the puzzle fit together and I will find a way “to plug in” and give back. Your prayers (and ideas!) would also be appreciated.

While I ponder what is next, my sister Ruth Brisbin has already jumped in to contribute to the cure. She has joined with Team in Training, a group that is part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS), and will be walking a marathon (yes, that is 26.2 miles!) in honor of me and to raise funds for cancer support and research. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is an excellent group that has done so much to help raise awareness and fund research for blood cancers. My cancer of Hodgkin’s Lymphoma has benefited greatly from the work of LLS. Please check out her website at http://www.active.com/donate/tntva/rnrgrrls and consider a contribution to help her efforts. I will be doing a little walking with her as she trains and will keep you all updated on her efforts. Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
It is so great to see that you are doing so well. I love the concept of "the obligation of the cured". I think that it extends also to those of us who are touched by someone in our lives who has battled cancer or overcome adversity. The "obligation" is ours as well. As much as we are joyous and grateful for the progress and success of our loved one, we must do what we can to provide that same hope and joy to others and their loved ones who are still healing.

It is one of my strong beliefs that things happen when they are supposed to happen often, however, for reasons we don't understand (at least not at the time). We are put into the situations when we are best equipped to handle them and with people when we need them or when they need us. I know that you will figure out what's next for you and that it will be awesome.

I'm not sure if you totally grasp how fabulous your blog has been for us. I can't express enough how truly inspirational and unselfish it was for you to do it and to the extent and depth that you did it. It served as "central meeting point" for us as we followed your progress. We would call each other and ask "Have you read Rachel's blog today?" It served to connect us as we were connecting with you. While you are figuring out what's next for you, take some time to read back through what you've written with an outside perspective. The depth and breadth of your writing is stunning. Using that talent may well play a part in your future.

What a great thing your sister is doing for you!!! I'm not sure I could walk 26 miles for my sister. ;) I will definitely be checking out her progress.

I look forward to seeing and talking with you soon!

Meg


“A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” - Christopher Reeve