Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Not the Greatest of News....Not the Worst Either

Well today was my doctor appointment to hear results from last week's biopsy.  Brant took off 1/2 day so he could be up here with me & mom when we met with Dr. Chung.  The leukemia is trying to make a comeback.  I have 20% blast cells showing in my marrow now, which is right on the borderline for being considered leukemia.  He discussed my options and still wants to try one more cycle of Vidasa chemo. During the first cycle I was "immunosuppressed", but I finished being tapered off of those drugs on Oct 31.  So during this cycle of Vidasa I will have my full immune system working to help fight off the leukemia.  If the chemo goes pretty well, I will get a booster of my brother's donor cells (called a DLI) shortly after finishing my 7 days of Vidasa and then see if it can take on the leukemia. 

Using Vidasa preserves the donor graft (ie, my brothers cells that have set up shop).  The next option is back to some cocktail of Induction chemo that wipes out everything and try for a transplant with an unrelated donor. That doesn't sound like much fun, and I would have the option to try a clinical trial instead.  But our motto is Step by Step, Day by Day, and that means that tomorrow is Day 1 of Vidasa and I don't need to be looking down the road too far.

The Dr. also took me off almost all restrictions as I am technically no longer "immunosuprressed".  In part because I think he wants me to enjoy things as much as possible, and for another part he wants my immune system to experience things and get fired up.  So Brant and I went out for dinner after I finished in clinic.  It was nothing fancy or exciting, but I did enjoy a fountain drink!! He headed back home to be with the kids which is so tough because he wants to stay in Richmond to be with me.  As much as I would like him by my side (we are such a team), I take comfort knowing that he is the one tucking in our kids at night and saying good morning to them before school.  If only he could clone himself!

Have I mentioned that I am really tired of being sick and weak?  The leukemia is causing me to have fevers and aches so I take Tylenol about once every 9-10 hours.  God gives us strength when we are at our weakest and my faith continues despite not knowing what His plans are or why I am on this path.  I believe in miracles and will continue to fight and be as strong as I can.  Your thoughts and prayers lift me up as always, thank you all for being my "army" on this journey,

3 comments:

George said...

Well, that's not good news, but as you say there is worse news you could have gotten. Your faith and spirit are so important and what a great "Team Cox" you have.

As Marine General Oliver P. Smith said when completely surrounded by Chinese forces at the Korean Battle of Chosin Reservoir: "Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Go get 'em!

Love,
George A

Anonymous said...

Rachel, George is right and as another famous...well fish said..Just keep Swimming! Just Keep Swimming!...and man I wish I could speak whale! Love Love Love you.

Rock On!

Cyndi Lou

Unknown said...

Well...
You are such an inspiration to so many, Rachel. I know you don't feel like you are, but you ARE. You have a wonderful spirit. LOVE is surrounding you and keeping you in a tight hug from Blacksburg!

XO All of us in the Burg