Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Back at Home

I finished up my chemo run on Monday and was ready to come home. But I have been having problems with an elevated heart rate for a few weeks now, and on Monday in clinic it was 135 sitting and went up to 185 standing. Not really good. Mom was worried they would keep me in town while they set up an appt to see the cardiologist. But in a total "God-thing", Mom ran into my cardiologist near the cafeteria and he asked how I was. When she mentioned my heart rate he said "that's no good" and was up to see me in clinic in less than an hour. They put me on another heart med - I take one to keep my blood pressure up and now I take one to keep my heart rate down. Ugh...I guess it is all of the chemo that has messed with my heart. They said to come back to clinic and a cardiology appointment on Thursday, so I got to go home.

As of clinic on Monday, my blood counts were still doing pretty good. My WBCs made it up to 1.9 and then back to 1.7. My platelets had fallen back to 63 but were up to 75 again. So things are bouncing around, but that is a lot more cells than I have had in the past. The chemo usually hits them over the next week, so I won't be surprised to see them drop. I just hope there is good recovery in time for my next biopsy. It would be nice to not have such empty bone marrow this time.

It is wonderful being home, but my energy has still not returned. The achiness and fevers seem to be better the last few days and I am taking less Tylenol. But I get exhausted just walking from one room to the other. I really don't know what that is about. I have also been dropping weight and have lost my appetite. It is hard to force myself to eat, but I know that the calories are important. Thank goodness for nutritional drinks to fill in some between meals.

This has been a kinda downer post, maybe I should share some good stuff. We are finally getting a few of our rooms in the house painted. I'm not sure how great I did on picking out the colors, but at least it is fresh and new! Katie made the middle school volleyball team and was elected by her teammates to be one of the two captains. Chris is doing well with his travel volleyball team. He is also finishing up an orcehstra project where he composes the orchestra parts (violin,viola, and cello) for a modern song. He picked "21 Guns" by Greenday and it sounds really awesome. He and Katie both really love music....very different types, but enjoy it non the less.

Well, it feels like time for a nap...lol.  Lately it has always felt like time for a nap!

3 comments:

kandi said...

Napping is a good thing , and so is whining once in awhile .... that's what we're here for. Nobody's perfect but you are pretty darn close.Just the traveling and day to day stuff can get exhausting for you. Those kids of yours are pretty awesome, just sayin! Gonna hit the floor for some prayin time . love ya, kandi

Anonymous said...

You may be an engineer by profession, but it sounds like your best job is raising your children. That's the one with the better "compensation package," anyway. Keep being a great mom!

Anonymous said...

Greenday? Wow that's my kids kinda music! lol! Have to put that volley ball net up out back this year and see some of those skills!!! Cyndi