Thursday, September 19, 2013

Day 50!! Hump Day!

Today I am halfway to Day 100.  That is a major milestone for transplant patients.  FYI - the other milestones are Days 30, 60, and 180.  You may have seen it on Facebook, but my very clever donor brother created this video for me.  It was a great way to start my day!  Thanks George and everyone else who helped by sending him video clips!!  You can check it out below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cd9vdV7CMM&feature=player_embedded

Not too much to report.  Still doing pretty good.  No infections or viruses.  My nausea has been slightly better the last two days.  I have had a little cough that they think may be from some post nasal drip - could be allergies from George, blame it on the donor, lol. 

My other issue is that my red blood cells and hemoglobin will not stay up and I need blood transfusions about once a week or so.  I have O+ blood and George has B+ blood.  So they think there may be enough of my old immune system hanging around and it is killing off the B+ cells that my new "George marrow" is producing.  They are doing some special testing and I should find out more next week.  Eventually I should have B+ blood once they let George's system really take over (after immunosuppression).  For now, though, they are still giving me O+ blood with my transfusions.  Incidentally, I will also appear to be a male if they genetically test me by my blood.  A cheek swab, however, would show me to be female.  The doctor here said that this quirk of marrow transplants was used in a House episode and one of the CSI shows,too.

I have my next biopsy and re-staging (Day 60) on September 30th.  Although it can be nerve-wracking, it will be good to get an update as to how things are going.  Thanks for all the continued prayers and support.  We are getting there....a day at a time....


4 comments:

George said...

All I have to say is:

Wooo Hooo!

Kirsten Tynch said...

I am so glad everything is going so well. We are all thinking of you. Hope to be able to see you soon!

kandi said...

Love love love the video . Watched Patch Adams last night and laughter really is the best medicine !!! The out pouring of love and support from family and friends is so important, and you have got the best ! love ya kandi

Unknown said...

Awesome video!!! Happy Hump Day + 5! Hope to see you next time I'm in town!