Thursday, September 5, 2013

Hip Hip Hooray for Good News!!

I am feeling very blessed that I was able to get my biopsy results from the Nurse Practitioner today and that the results were all good!! She informed me that there was no evidence of leukemia in my peripheral blood or in the marrow.  She read off a whole bunch of "Negative" responses on my cytogenetic results which apparently is good.  And.....my bone marrow shows to be 100% Donor genetic material.  Woot Woot!!  Way to go George's stem cells!  I will probably have this explained to me in more detail at my doctor's appointment next week.  But for now - Thank you Lord for so many answered prayers!!

The rest of the check up went pretty well.  She sees some evidence of GVHD on my skin but it is not bad and requires no treatment at this time.  We discussed strategies to keep my nutrition levels up when I have no appetite and how to keep the pills from causing too much nausea.  My only real problem is my kidney function is being impacted by the cyclosporine immunosuppressant drug.  They watch my creatinine levels to see how my kidneys are doing and it keeps creeping up.  All I can do is drink more, but that is a challenge trying not to feel bloated/nauseous.  She said the best thing is a steady but small flow of liquid throughout the day versus drinking large amounts at one time.  Maybe I should get one of those hydration packs that the bicyclists and runners use and just walk around with it on all day...lol.

Mom and I have been checking out a few extended stay places and are contemplating a move from the Hospitality House maybe later this month.  It will be hard to give up the convenience and community we have here, but it would be nice to have a little more space.  I have enjoyed these little outings and am getting a feel for Richmond beyond MCV.  We look for little parks (with shade) where we can walk.

I also just finished a book - shock!! I am not a great reader, but as an absentee member of a Book Club back home I try to keep up with what they are reading.  The book was The Alchemist and I really enjoyed it (and not just because it was short!!).  I found that some of the stuff related to being "in the present" and learning from "wherever it is you are at" really spoke to me.  I have been so focused on being homesick and just wanting to get back to Chesapeake that I have maybe been missing some blessings that this time living apart from my family in Richmond can bring.  Not sure I have found too many blessings or learned too many lessons yet....I would rather be healthy and with my family...but at least I am looking for them now.

Final funny - did you all know that the group Hanson still tours???  Yesterday they were at the theatre that is a block from the HH.  There were actually girls...uhmmm...mostly grown women...camping out to be first in the theatre.  Hope it was a rockin' concert!

4 comments:

kandi said...

All I can say is YIPEEEE !!! It truly is the Lord's work. ... and I never really liked Hanson much , guess I'm just an old hippee and Motown girl!

George said...

Woooohoooooo!!!!!!!! What fantastic news so glad to hear Rachel. Keep it going :-)

Unknown said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! So very relieved and happy for you!

Hanson? Seriously? HAHA. You make me laugh!

Sending love, as always!!

George's bone marrow ROCKS:))

George said...

So, did you include a subtle joke in there for all of us "Hip Hip Hooray..." as in your hip had been drilled? Can you sit down again now?
:-P