Thursday, September 26, 2013

Hello Autumn

It is hard to believe we are entering our third season here in Richmond.  When we first arrived here, it was still Spring.  The days move by and although I miss home terribly, I am thankful to be alive and to be doing so well.  The nausea has been a little less in the last week and I am picking up some energy.  We try to walk back and forth to clinic and on my off days we wander around a block or two.  I have also been trying to do yoga.  I wish I had done yoga before I got sick so I would know what I am doing!! I found a pretty basic routine for the morning.  You gotta love the Internet!  I haven't read any new books, I should probably do that.  I did pick up a travel book from the swap bin the other day on Hawaii and have enjoyed learning about the islands and some of the history.  It is definitely on the list of places to go.

There are still some bumps in the road.  I just got a call that my cultures from yesterday came back gram positive and I need to have cultures re-done tomorrow.  Hopefully it is just contamination again and not an infection.  I was supposed to get my central line removed tomorrow but they may delay that based on waiting to see if I need antibiotics.

I met with the Dr. this week and we discussed the low red blood cell issue.  Based on the tests they ran before it doesn't look like my immune system is "chewing" them up.  So he suspects it is just a slow engraftment for the stuff that makes red blood cells in my marrow.  It can happen where one of the three cell lines (white, red, & platelets) lags behind the others.  There could also be some suppression of the RBC making process by issues with my kidneys.  So...more blood for more tests and my Day 60 biopsy is on Monday which will tell the Doctors a lot.  He didn't really get into what happens if it is this or that....of course I want to know every detail and that is not always healthy or helpful.  Mom reminds me to leave it in God's hands and focus on the positive of each day.  Truly, a positive outlook is as important as the medications they give me!

It is almost the weekend which means seeing the family.  That is always my highlight of the week.  Last weekend the kids were so upbeat and talkative with stories, it was really a great visit.  This weekend we will celebrate Katie's 13th birthday so that will be fun.  I wish we could all move into an apartment up here together and homeschool for a semester.  Brant's commute wouldn't be that bad....lol.....

Thank you all so much for the nice comments last time on my "Hump Day" post and for blowing up Facebook with comments when I posted it there.  Your support really helps keep my spirits up, which can be a real challenge on some days!

1 comment:

George said...

Hrrmm, I must have given you some of my childish stem cells - they haven't grown up like the rest of me and realise that you and I get along!

Keep on keeping on.

xoxo,
George A