Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Past Day 60.....

Sunday was my official Day 60 and on Monday I had a bone marrow biopsy and lots of blood tests for re-staging and checking on my progress.  Of course, results won't be back until next week's doctor appointment so I am trying not to think about it too much.  We are praying hard for good results and continued progress.

The last week has been somewhat eventful.  I had my central line removed last Friday morning.  I did not pass out despite only receiving local numbing with painful lidocaine shots.  The whole process sort of freaked me out, but I have had it done before.  So that hole in my chest is healing up and I now just have one access point for IVs - a port that is under my skin so much lower chance of infection.  They also started me on antibiotics last Friday because a culture came back positive, but the re-cultures done the next day did not grow anything so they stopped my antibiotics on Sunday.  I guess it was another false positive.  I have been dealing with some afternoon chills and my temperature goes up but then back down later in the evening.  I get cultured again tomorrow so we'll see if there is some sort of infection going on.  The good news is that my white blood cells and neutraphils are at pretty decent levels so maybe they can do some fighting.

I saw the Nurse Practitioner today.  Overall I seem to be doing very good.  Just need to get my stomach feeling a little better and my blood counts moving in the right direction again.  I had another blood transfusion on Sunday (I get about one a week now) and my platelets have been falling. But everyone seems to take it in stride as part of the normal process. Must....be.....patient......

We had a really great weekend as a family.  It was Katie's 13th birthday so we rented a hotel room with some space to spread out and enjoyed Friday evening together and had some ice cream cake.  On Saturday, Brant took the kids up to Blacksburg for a visit and they both spent the night with friends.  Sunday they came thru and spent some time again with me.  While Brant was out of town a really awesome group of friends transformed our yard with fresh mulch, trimmed shrubs, cheerful flowers, and two pumpkins for the front porch.  It was such a blessing for us and the house looks so nice for the Fall.  Thanks again to the Cox Yard Party crew!!!

I am glad it is October...another month has started so surely I am a little closer to going home.  I have a lot of tears sometimes but I think it is good to let them out.  This by far has been the most challenging thing I have dealt with in my life.  And it isn't nearly what some others around me are dealing with.  I repeat often....It is in your hands Lord.  Each morning brings new hope and each evening brings rest (which I am very thankful for!) and another day closer to home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep on keeping on, Rachel. We all love you.
Mother

Unknown said...

Hi Rachel,

We really enjoyed having Chris here. He is a hoot! Also liked seeing his VB pictures on FB. We're all pulling for you and wish you rest and peace and patience. Your patience is amazing to me...

XO Jane