Friday, October 25, 2013

It Was a Long Week

After returning from my awesome visit back home, it was back to long daily clinic visits for repletions - I get platelets and potassium daily and have needed blood and magnesium some too.  They said this chemo was "mild" but it has knocked my blood counts down pretty good.  My platelets seem to be the worst of the group.  They were at 6 on Monday, but have stayed pretty much below 5 the rest of the week.  On Wednesday I started having some bleeding that got everyone excited and they admitted me back up on the 10th floor to get some more platelets overnight and to "keep an eye on me".  They let me go on Thursday so it was a quick visit - just long enough to check in with a few of the nurses and to remember that the food really isn't very good.

My platelets are still low but no more bleeding.  Apparently after transplant I am still very refractory to platelets, so when they give me a transfusion it really doesn't bump them up much and they are gone the next day.  Hopefully there will be some signs of recovery in the next few days and my bone marrow will start producing cells again more consistently.  My bone marrow biopsy is scheduled for Tuesday and the doctors will be able to tell better what is going on when they get those results.

Mom and I are doing pretty good.  She is such a strong woman going thru this with me.  It is a tough time as we wait to see what is going to happen and when my body will recover.  I am weaker than I would like to be, but I get a steroid shot before my platelet transfusions each day and that does give me some energy.  I joke that they are my PEDs.  I may be disqualified from any cancer records due to my doping....

Brant took off from work and drove up to surprise me in clinic today.  He seems to know when I need a little boost.  I will see him and the kids again at some point this weekend.  It will be nice to catch up on their week.  Katie had her last softball game - they honored the 8th graders and Brant was there to be on the field with her.  Chris had his first orchestra concert as a high schooler.  He looked really nice in his tux.  It is hard missing so many events, but I appreciate all of the pictures and texts that people send to keep me in the loop.

My new quote (which sadly I saw on TV from the teacher's facebook page that was killed this week):

"Not every day is a good day....but there is good in every day."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every day is good when we can celebrate the love we have, one with another. We trust in God and His wisdom to see you through, Rachel. Mother

George said...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I see beauty in the days you are spending with Mom.
Your relationship glows and sets a high example for us all.

xoxoxo,
George A

Anonymous said...

Good morning sweet girl.....Always thinking about you, but especially when I am running because my mind seems a bit less cluttered. I pray for sunshine in your days and want you to know how even on cloudy days, you are sunshine to so many. Love you!! Susie