Thursday, January 2, 2014

Released!!!

They let me leave today! I had a great nurse on Monday night, they are all good, but she was determined to get me a good night rest with no pain. Things seemed to turn the corner after that, and I woke up feeling good with much less pain. I am still coughing and blowing my nose a lot, but feel much better. The fevers are also a concern, but they have stayed away for the last 36 hours. So they let me go down the street to the Hospitality House. They checked me for just about everything, but the main concern was fungal infections. They are hard to treat and can appear when you have no immune system. So far, everything looks good. Let's just hope it is an expensive cold.

In addition to a new antifungal pill, I am on two IV antibiotics for about 5 more days. They are these little balls of medicine that when you attach one to your port, the medicine gets sucked in over about 45 mins. I think it is a pretty slick way to do IV meds at home without a nurse or Gertrude(IV pole). Sorry if I mentioned that before. I am also now a firm believer in nasal rinses with sterile saline. It is kinda awkward and takes a little practice, but I wonder how many head colds I could have relieved doing that! And the hospital has the perfect sized syringes and saline that doesn't burn.

So Happy New Year! Brant and I had probably our oddest one yet. He drove up to Richmond and spent the night in the hospital with me. I'm not sure how much rest he got, but it was nice to greet 2014 with him. The care partner brought us some chocolate milkshakes and mom had left us two little party favors. Thanks, Ruth, for doing New Years Eve with our kids. It was disappointing to lose the last week of the holidays to this illness, but I was where I needed to be.

Next week will be a big one for us. We have consults at both Johns Hopkins and Duke. We ask for your prayers - safety on the roads, that my sinusitis will continue to improve and I will have strength, that the doctors will have good options, and that Brant and I will have God's hand upon us as we decide where the path will lead next.

Love you all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Praying with and for you!!

Unknown said...

It's Jim Wright struggling to post so you know it's me. May God guide your every step!