Friday, January 24, 2014

Snow Daze

I did make it home last Friday after leaving the hospital for my DLI boost.  I don't know what is in George's little bag of cells, but for one day I have enough energy to feel like a normal human being!!  We had a great day together on Saturday after being apart for eight days.  We even got to celebrate Christmas once again since we had missed seeing Brant's dad over the holidays.  Although the "high" doesn't last, I have to say I have been feeling very good over the last week.  And I have been home every night!

Brant drove me up to clinic on Sunday and I didn't need anything!  First time in forever.  But unfortunately I think the last chemo run is kicking in, and by my clinic visit on Tuesday my platelets had dropped off quite a bit.  On Thursday I went to the local oncologist and infusion clinic to get platelets and blood.  It wasn't the smoothest experience, but I think it is just getting the kinks out.  It would be nice to go to Richmond once per week and do clinic down here twice a week when I am just doing transfusions.

So January has definitely felt a lot better than December.  I hope it is a good sign that the Vidaza/DLI combo is working.  George has his flights booked for a two week visit in February to donate some more of those DLI cells.  He is so awesome.  My biopsy in February will hopefully give us some good information on what the leukemia is doing.

The doctor at Duke encouraged me to have a regular exercise routine to build my strength (especially cardio).  While I was at the Hospitality House for the week I used their treadmill each day.  Here at home I figure I am up and down the steps enough, but would like it to warm up a little so I could walk outside.

We have had snow on the ground since Tuesday night.  Dad got me home from clinic on Tuesday just before it arrived!!  The kids have had two snow days this week and have enjoyed the extra sleep.  And I have enjoyed the extra time with them.  We just keep taking it one day at a time and I am thankful that lately the days have felt pretty good and the bad thoughts have mostly stayed away.  Keep praying!  God can do miracles!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for lifting my spirits, Rachel. There is good in every day and I'm thankful for all our blessings. Love you, mother

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for you and your blessings!
cyndi

Unknown said...

May you have many goods days!! God Bless Jim Wright