Thursday, April 25, 2013

Long but Pleasant Day

We are closing in on our second night here at Massey Cancer Center. I know Brant is really looking forward to another night on that recliner....not!! We are fortunate to have a room at the Hospitality House where my "caregiver" can get a shower and stretch out on a bed sometimes for some rest. Of course, I am worried that no one will ever use it. Tonight is Brant's last night in Richmond and then he will head back to Blacksburg to be with the kids. I know they need him more than I do, but I will miss having him around. Mom will arrive tomorrow to take over watching me here at the hospital. Not a bad substitution....

I had platelets early this morning before getting ready to have my Hickman catheter installed. I had a bit of a reaction to them and starting shaking uncontrollably. No, Robin, I did not have any homemade brownies. But a dose of Benedryl and things were fine...and I was passed out. Before the Benadryl had time to wear off, they wheeled me down for the procedure where I got even more very pleasant drugs. Let's just say I rested with a smile most of the morning.

In the afternoon I cleared my heart test and we are now just waiting on my bone marrow pathology report before starting chemo. Hopefully I will start chemo tomorrow since I don't want to give the Leukemia any more time. I find that this go around I really don't want to search the internet and be an expert. I understand it well enough and know there are some poor prognostic data out there. But so much of it is for elderly people (which my office mates probably think I am, but I am not) and it doesn't apply to me. I met the attending doctor today and she is very good and very positive. I am just focusing on starting chemo and listening to their advice for now. This is a very good cancer center.

I did manage to take a few walks around the halls today. I had to laugh when I got to the end of the hall on the 10th floor and found myself peering out on a gorgeous day overlooking the Central Offices for VDOT. The hours pass so slowly, work would be fun. But my career for now is beating cancer.

Good night.

5 comments:

Jeannie Lafon said...

Good Morning Rachel! I am so glad you are posting this blog. I want to keep up with you and this is GREAT! My prayers and thoughts are with you always. "Team Cox" is rooting for you here in the 'Burg. Please tell Brant to let us know if we can help out with rides etc. You know we are most likely the same places Katie is going to be! Stay strong! Love you friend! Jeannie (and the rest of the Lafon Camp). :-)

LP said...

Hello Rachel. I wish I could tell you what to do to make those hours pass more quickly. Nothing like having time on your hands when you don't want it. Sooooo want to give you a big hug right now. I hate what you are going through. I have spent time telling my children more about you and the great person you are, and that has been fun to do. Volleyball, engineer, getting 100% on tests you didn't study for at all, living on a boat during high school, jointly allowing the tub to get so dirty it was like ice-skating...just little snippets. They are praying for you and so am I. We love you!!!- Lisa Passyn

John Brisbin said...

Hey gorgeous,
Can't beleive you're missing the chance to jump on that VDOT wi-fi and "get a few things done"?? But yes: focus for now is on one point...go well with that one dear sis!

Rachel said...

Jeannie - I am wearing my Team Cox wristband that Alaina made. it is much prettier than the hospital bands on my other arm! Thanks for being such an awesome mom!

Lisa - We should not have gone this long without a hug. Re-connecting with you my old roomie has moved up on the to-do list!!

John - Wi-fi here works just fine and I still have my work computer (hush-hush). A bit of work here and there may be therapeutic.

Tracy said...

Don't be surprised. If Anne and I make a road trip. Will.make sure it is ok first. Kodiaks wil be playing for you on Sunday.