Wednesday, April 24, 2013

We Have Arrived

It was quite a day. We said our good-byes to the kids as they left for school and then Brant and I left for Richmond. I am so proud of them for choosing to keep their normal routines going. I am thankful for the friends and teachers that embraced them today and gave them lots of love. I know it will be tough for them...much harder than last time when they were really too young to understand.

We got to Richmond a little late due to roadwork....guess I can't complain about my employer, lol, but it was aggravating!! My mom and dad were here waiting, demanding a hug before travelling on to the Burg to watch the kids. Nothing beats a hug from Mom and hearing you Dad say he will fly you to Germany if needed.

Everyone has been very friendly here and worked to get me admitted into a room on short notice. I should be awarded an honorary PhD for the disertation I gave (and repeated and repeated and repeated) to the parade of med students, residents, fellows, and doctors....not to mention a few nurses and lab folks. There wasn't much left for Dracula after they got all my bloodwork. The biggest bummer of the day, though, was having to get another bone marrow biopsy. Two in less than a week just seems unfair!! But this was my first one with medication. Very nice stuff. It was kind of like going thru natural child birth for three kids and then doing the fourth with an epidural. Duh - why didn't I do that before??!! Oh yeah, it was never offered since all others have been done in a Dr.'s office and not in a hopsital setting.

Thank you for blowing up my email, facebook and phone with all the support and encouragement. You guys sure think I can beat this and that is what I was needing to hear today. God answered my prayers and I am definitely feeling more hopeful. The overall path ahead of me still seems daunting and impossible, but the first step in front of me - Induction Chemotherapy - seems manageable and I will focus on that. I can do all things thru God who gives me strength!!!

Good Night for now. I am scheduled to get my central line first thing in the morning. It will be nice to ditch the IV in my arm!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning, sweet Rachel......I am so glad to see this post. After I re-read most of your prior blog and gave myself a quick education on AML from different websites, I really wanted to know how you were today!!!! As I suspected, I found a good spirited post with some insight into your next challenge. I love you and have a continual prayer going for you, Brant, Christopher and Katie. I know I am in Florida.....but I am only quick trip to you if and when you need it. My housekeeping isn't much better, but I can be helpful if you need me.....XOXO

George said...

Hey Rachel,
Thanks firing this blog back-up. We all want to know how you're going.It's great to see you're typing away and finding a few things to laugh at still.

Love you heaps,
George A.

Kirsten Tynch said...

Glad yesterday went as well as possible(even with the roadwork delays)! We are thinking only positive thoughts for you, Brant and the kids. We're a short drive down 64, so please let me know if we can do anything for you or Brant. You will beat this too!

Linda Aufenkamp said...

Whether it's our lives or cancer, figuring out how to handle everything is too daunting, as you say. Keeping focused on the one step in front of us is sometimes the only way to move forward. Keep blogging and we will share the steps with you. --Linda Aufenkamp

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,
I received the news yesterday concerning this battle you face. Based on what I have learned about you over the past few months, without a doubt you can win this battle Rachel. It haunts me trying to understand why good people like yourself have to go through such painful times. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers every day. My prayer for you today is that God will be with you hand in hand throughout this ordeal.

Mary Miller

Anne Eason said...

We have all been so stunned since hearing your news yesterday and have been feeling so helpless knowing that your family is so far from us. You WILL beat this and we will all be taking this journey with you. Please let us know what we can do for you in Richmond - we are not that far away!! Lots of prayers are coming your way from far and wide!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to blog, Rachel. I will be checking in daily to see how you are doing. Much love to you and your family, Lisa Passyn