Saturday, July 20, 2013

Good Testing Results

My brother (aka Donor) took me up to Richmond on Thursday and Friday to finish up my testing, giving mom some much needed rest from running around.  On Thursday they checked me for allergies against six different penicillin related antibiotics.  It took all day to advance thru the steps - four rounds of skin pricks at advancing doses, then four rounds of needle sticks under the skin at increasing drug concentration, and finally a "drug challenge" where I took a pill of Amoxicillin.  Only the needle step really hurt, and not because of the needle but because the drugs had a big sting when they got under the skin.  I didn't test positive for any of them - yeah!  The Dr. said I still may develop a drug rash to any of them, but there isn't a concern about an severe anaphylactic type of reaction.

On Friday we were back to check on my heart.  The angiogram tube entered at my left wrist and DID NOT feel good.  I was hoping to be a bit more out of it but unfortunately they were a little light on the pharmaceuticals....  I and my left forearm were fully aware of them trying to get their tube to all of the correct spots to inject the dye and see the coronary arteries.  I probably could have watched it on the monitor if my eyes hadn't been clamped shut.  It didn't last too long and the good news is that my coronary arteries all look great.  As suspected, the heart damage is most likely caused by previous chemo and may or may not be permanent, but it is not severe enough to impact a normal active lifestyle.  George and I were back in Chesapeake by 6pm and I was quite happy for no overnight visit in the hospital.

The kids are home from a fun week at the beach, so we are all finally together as a family under one roof back in Chesapeake.  We will have a few days to enjoy each other and I am so thankful to be feeling mostly healthy and well.  The plan is to be admitted next Thursday, the 25th. I will do a six day prep regimen and the transplant itself should be on July 31st.  I just need to stay healthy and rested before starting the transplant process.

No comments: