Thursday, July 25, 2013

Here We Go...

I was admitted today to start my bone marrow transplant.  The time at home really flew by and I didn't get to see many people that I wanted to or get as much done around the house as I thought I could.  But it was wonderful to almost feel normal for a few days.  It was tough leaving home and good-byes are never fun.  I apologize to all the folks who were treated to my tears over the last few days.  As our kids say, leaving is the hardest part.  We are past that now and it is time to settle in and get to work beating this thing while Brant and the kids do their best to keep up a normal routine.   

My Aunt (mom's sister) is visiting and came with us up to Richmond to keep mom company for a few days.  I started off this morning having a port installed.  I already have a central line (double Hickman) but they want more access points to give IV's while I am in the hospital.  The procedure went fine but I am pretty sore as expected.  Hopefully it will heal up soon.  I now have hardware on my right and left side, so maybe I am more balanced...?

Tonight I start my pre-meds.  I get an anti-seizure drug because one of the chemo's - Busulfan - has a small chance of causing them.  The other chemo drug is Fludarabine.  Both will get started tomorrow morning.  The chemo will last 4 days and then I wait a day before they transplant me with my brother's cells. 

The inpatient process is usually around 3-4 weeks.  It is weird to not go outside for that long.  After I am released we must stay in the Richmond area for quite a while until my immune system is established and any graft vs host disease is addressed.

They are very strict up here on the transplant floor to prevent infections in the patients.  The food selections are pretty limited and are basically sterilized.  There is no caffeine either...and that includes chocolate.  This could be trouble for me.  But they do have Oreos, so I think I can survive.

Thanks for the comments and other messages that are sent my way.  They really help encourage me.  I am truly blessed with such great support.


3 comments:

Davina Park said...

Hey Rach - I am channelling so much love and strength to you .. and wish I could be doing it in person. This next phase is going to be really shitty, and we all wish we could make it easier, or pick up some of the burden on your behalf. I envy you your faith at these times...I know that it's a source of strength and support for you. Let us know if there is anything we can do to distract you, or make the experience a little more pleasant. You know that George would give you more than his marrow if would help.
Hang in there my love.
Div xxx

kandi said...

Time to hit the floor (get on my knees) and send up the BIG prayers! Seems like you are doing all the hard work and don't worry, God is doing His part and won't let you down. Feel all the love and strength that surrounds you and stay as positive as always ! kandi

Unknown said...

Praying and praying as I did when you were in NYC!
Father, please send Your Spirit(Comforter) to be with my sister in Christ. Give doctors wisdom & discernment as they treat this monster. Surround Rachel with Your angles... Strengthen Brant and the kids as they do life.

I pray all this in the matchless name of Jesus! Amen