Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Good News...Good News!

We are happy to report that we got some good news yesterday while up in Richmond.  Brant took the day off to drive George and me to Richmond for the day.  George did his collection of cells while I got some platelets.  Brant and I met with the doctor about the biopsy results. My bone marrow is still very empty, but there were less than 5% blasts in the bone marrow that they could sample.  In November I was at 25%-30% blasts. There is still evidence of the disease in the more sensitive FISH and cytogenetic tests, but there were many less genetic mutations than seen previously. So it appears that the Vidaza and my brother's Tcells (in the DLI doses) have been eating away at the leukemia. 

Of course, there is still the problem that my bone marrow is very empty - most likely because of the leukemia and the chemo. George's transplant stem cells just never got a chance to take hold and grow. I have been getting DLI boosts the last few months, but these are mostly Tcells (the ones that attack leukemia) and they do not populate the marrow.  So the doctors decided to collect some stem cells in addition to the Tcells while George is here. He did a great job and wound up staying overnight in Richmond to collect a second day. Apparently I have a lot of good stuff available now!! I can't believe George will be flying home on Friday, it seems like he just got here.

Tomorrow I will head back up to Richmond and get a transfusion of the stem cells.  I think I will get some Tcells as well (the DLI) but I am just not sure what the protocol will be.  The doctors seem to be talking a lot and making the plan as they go.....I pray for them nightly that God provides them great discernment! This will be like a mini transplant, but since my system is almost 100% George right now, I don't have to do any of the chemo or immunosuppression to wipe out my system.

I better get off to bed and get ready for tomorrow.  Please continue to send prayers and thoughts my way.  I am so thankful for what God has done so far, but we still have a ways to go.  So we keep on fighting.....one day at a time! 

7 comments:

John Brisbin said...

Fantastic sis! What a terrific boost along the path. Huge hugs to you all!
xoxox

Anonymous said...

I am so excited! May God's blessings continue on you and your family.

Jan Riess

Anonymous said...

So happy at the good news! Praying for you and your family. May God continue to watch over you, bless you and heal you.
Rebecca Wooddell (calvary baptist church)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel, I am so happy to hear of this news. Sending prayers and love your way! Cousin Kim H.

Anonymous said...

I thank God for the good news. Will continue to keep you in my prayers. Sue & Ron Slezak

Unknown said...

Thanking God for the progress and your brother! Will continue to lift you and the whole family up in prayer.,Jim Wright as I can't seem to figure out how to post my name. :)

Anonymous said...

So it appears that the Vidaza and my brother's Tcells (in the DLI doses) have been eating away at the leukemia...HURRAY!!!! Thank you with LOVE again to God, and his band of loving healers...these awesome nurses,doctors, Brant, Katie, Chris, aunt Lois, uncle George, Ruth, George Allen, John and all our loved ones. Not that I didn't anticipate any second the powerful healing process would in fact begin! Rachel, I love your ginormous heart and spirit, your loving relationships and your intelligent decisions and actions! Enjoy the Holy Spirit's hugs!!!