Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Another Biopsy Complete

I returned to Richmond yesterday to have another biopsy.  It wasn't too bad since I am getting used to them.  Fentanyl is my good friend now (it is the pre-med)...and Brant was there to sit with me.  Just a sore hip afterwards! The goal of this biopsy is to see if my bone marrow has recovered without any signs of leukemia.  This would mean that the chemo was effective and I am in remission.  I should know results by the end of the week.  Please pray that it will be more good news.  We are also waiting on the final results from my brother.  His second test kit has made it across the Pacific and is at the lab being tested now.  I don't know when those results will be in.   So lots of anxious waiting around here.  But at least I am doing it at home!!

We arrived at the hospital early and I stopped by the 2nd floor because they had called to say I had a some mail that had trickled in.  I had two packages and about 8 cards!  It was a great little pick-me-up to read them before heading off to the clinic.  Thanks everyone!

Regardless of the results of the biopsy, I will be admitted again next week to start my second round of chemo.  If the biopsy results are good, I will be given what is called "consolidation chemo" to keep me in remission and not let the leukemia have a chance to show back up while I wait for going to transplant.  If the results do not show a complete remission, then the doctors will find some other cocktail to get rid of the leukemia. 

I am doing well and feeling good.  My mom went home today to spend a week in her "real life" before starting at the hospital with me again next week.  She taught Brant how to do the daily flush of my central lines and he can now add some new skills to his expanding resume.  There will be some people back in Portsmouth happy to have her for a week!! I love all the support and care that my mom provides, but I am also looking forward to a few days of us just being our normal little family.  I drove Katie to a friend's house today and later made dinner.  It is these little things that I never thought I would miss so much and am so thankful I have had such a long break at home to enjoy a few of them.

No comments: