Thursday, June 6, 2013

#IHaveAnAwesomePrayerTeam!!!!

It is a great news day!!!  The transplant coordinator called to say that George's second test was good and he is a match for me.  Then I went and had labwork done and my WBC's were 3.4 and my neutrophils were 1.4.  This is the highest they have been.  Last but not least, Dr. Perkins called and said that my bone marrow biopsy showed no evidence of disease!!  So I am considered to be in remission.  He did say that there is a possibility that cytogenetic tests will show I still have some abnormalities/disease, but those results will not be back until later next week.  And I don't really understand what it means if those tests come back bad since I will be starting consolidation chemo on Tuesday regardless of the results.  I am not going to worry about that now. 

Thanks for the thousands of prayers that have been lifted up for me.  I feel truly blessed.  After a prayer of thanks, we celebrated with some ice cream at Cold Stone...yumm!!

I will meet with the transplant team in Richmond on Tuesday morning.  Now that we know I have a good biopsy and I have a matched donor we can really start making some plans.  I look forward to understanding the process better and asking my kazillion questions.  Once I finish with the transplant team, I will be admitted back to the Acute Care Oncology floor to start my consolidation chemo.  This treatment is to keep the leukemia from showing up again.  Ideally, I will do 5 days in the hospital, and then spend about three weeks in Richmond as an outpatient while my blood counts recover again.  My poor little bone marrow...it keeps getting beat up.  Dr. Perkins was kinda funny though, he said they weren't too worried about taking care of my bone marrow since I will be getting some new marrow soon.  And George just ran a half marathon, so I am thinking he must have some good stuff!!

6 comments:

LP said...

I am loving all of this great news!

Kirsten Tynch said...

What great news! I am so happy for you!

Kirsten

George said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
George said...

It's got to be a kazillion squared by the time you add in all my questions, Rachel. :-) But to be honest it looks pretty easy for me - if they can get it out of the blood - the pictures look like I just sit around in a comfy chair for a bit.

Very exciting, but it's very painful already.... I'm sitting here getting in front of my paperwork for my job. :-( Nothing like a holiday to get my paperwork up to date!

kandi said...

It is true that so many people have lifted you up to God that the healing process has begun! A great saying " Lord, I do not ask that I never be afflicted, but only that you never abandon me in affliction. " So proud of you and your courage !!! AND...you have an awesome family ! love ya, Kandi

George said...

I just kicked in a little training run for you on the weekend - 16 km /10 miles :-)

Should I be eating spinach to pump up the blood? Maybe Popeye can loan me a can or two!