Thursday, June 27, 2013

Still Low Blood Counts

My sluggish bone marrow is once again taking its time to start making those blood cells.  I thought maybe the recovery would be a bit quicker for consolidation chemo versus induction chemo but it seems to be about the same.  At least I am not in the hospital this time.  We have spent each day this week in the clinic for a blood work check and then getting transfusions.  On Monday I had platelets with the bad reaction.  On Tuesday I got red blood cells with no reaction.  Yesterday I got blood cells and platelets, and today I got platelets - both days with no reaction - yippee!  My platelets (the cells that help with blood clotting) have been below 5 for almost a week now and it is kind of nerve wracking to me.  In addition to my petechiae spots all over, my gums are bleeding some and I bruise very easily.  Hopefully they will start trending up soon, or maybe I will get a transfusion of platelets that "stick" around for a little while.

But I am very happy about not having another reaction.  They really dope me up with pre-meds now.  I get IV Benadryl, Pepcid, and Solu-medrol before receiving platelets.  The solu-medrol is a steroid and has done a number on my appetite.  There is a package of Oreos quivering in fear over in the corner of the room.  I know they are reduced fat but does that really matter when you eat like 15 of them???

This evening we had another volunteer group bring dinner to the Hospitality House.  It was quite a spread with bar-b-que, chicken, jambalaya, and lots of sides.  It is nice to have an appetite and enjoy eating again.  At this rate I should gain back all the weight I lost last month!!  We are so grateful to these various church and civic groups that come out and bring a dinner for the Hospitality House guests.  We probably have at least one a week and it is such a blessing.

One of the hawks showed up early this morning shrieking loudly from the vent stack. This time I had my real camera ready.   I posted several pictures on Facebook and have decided in my expert internet training that it is a Red-Tailed Hawk.  Pretty safe guess since that is the most common hawk around.

That's about all the excitement from around here.  Just patiently waiting to have some higher blood count numbers and be able to go home for a few weeks!!!

4 comments:

Mom said...

Rachel, you are being extremely patient and your mom appreciates this. And, I know you are thankful for all those praying for you. Mother

Anonymous said...

So thankful for your updates and progress reports...I get tired just reading all you are going through !!!I just read somewhere to be specific when you pray so here goes the prayers !!! Try and focus on the time when all this is behind you and you are healthy again --- and I was wishing your hawks would come back . love ya kandi

George said...

Yikes - sounds like you could become a poster child for the Red Cross Blood Service! It's fantastic that there is such a great support network for the Hospitality House where you're staying. I've always contributed to the various charity drives but for some reason it feels a lot different reading about YOU getting the assistance.
Cyrus & Lara are on holidays now and they are VERY happy about that. The only damper on the situation has been the weather - it's cold (for us) and it's been raining for two weeks!
See you in a fortnight.
Love, George A

John Brisbin said...

Hey grrrl, just heard you needed to call up the reserves to get through the night. You keep focussing on those hawks and let your miraculous body catch up with your soaring spirit.
Enormous hugs from over here...