Thursday, June 13, 2013

Escape to the Outdoors

I completed my first two doses of chemo on Tuesday and had a day off yesterday.  My counts are still high enough to not be neutropenic and to still have some energy.  So I asked for a pass to go off the floor before my next chemo run started this afternoon at 2pm.  We headed off the floor and out the building.  We went over to the Healing Garden and enjoyed the green and blooming plants from a nice swing. 
Then we headed up Marshall Street - Gertrude was quite a sight going over the bumpy (detectable surfaces) ADA ramps.  We made it up the hill and to a nice bench where we enjoyed chicken salad lunches from the Christopher's vendor cart.  But all good things must end and we had to get back for chemo time....

Things are going pretty well.  My chemo this time around is high dose Cytarabine.  This is the same drug that I had for seven straight days at a lower dose during my induction chemo.  At the higher dose there are some different side effects including a potential impact on your cerebellum.  So before every dose I get to take a sobriety test of sorts - say a tongue twister, touch my nose, finger presses, and sign my name.  Good thing they did a baseline first...lol...

I have started to have more fatigue (especially after running around!) as well as some issues going from hot to cold and flushing.  But no nausea so far...  I'm about halfway done with this hospital stay and looking forward to getting out on Monday!

I'm keeping my friend and fellow VDOT-er Ellen in my thoughts and prayers as she battles melanoma with a clinical trial thru NCI in Bethesda.  I love her humor and positive energy as she faces this nasty disease.  We can do this ELLEN!!!

No comments: