Saturday, June 1, 2013

Enjoying Time at Home

It has been a nice week here at home.  I have taken it easy and managed to avoid any fevers or complications so far.  My mom and Brant make sure I don't do too much!!

It was nice to be here for the last week of school, to see some of the kids sporting events, to visit at work. to eat regular food, sleep in my own bed....the list goes on and on.  I have taken a few walks around the neighborhood but it is hard to find any flat spots.  I can walk a long time on level ground but give me a little uphill climb and I am struggling!! That's ok, I am getting a lot more activity just being up and around the house.

Earlier in the week we found out that my brother George is probably a perfect match for me.  They have to do some re-tests to be sure, but they are pretty confident.  This would be great news and would mean I can get moving towards a bone marrow transplant sooner.  Not to mention that complications from a related donor transplant are often less than those with an unrelated donor.  For those without enough siblings (I needed 3 to have 1 match!!), the Be the Match Registry is a vital non-profit organization to help find bone marrow donors.  My sister Ruth completed a walk in Richmond today to support their organization.  Check out her link on the side of the blog.

Yesterday Brant and I drove back to Richmond for a follow-up appointment.  We stopped at the scenic overlook near Charlottesville since it was such a pretty day. Everything looks good and my counts are still recovering.  I will return again on Monday to get a bone marrow biopsy with the results expected by the end of the week.

I think I should have another week at home before I start my next round of treatments. I will certainly enjoy that!!!  Thanks for all the continued prayers and support.


3 comments:

John Brisbin said...

Go grrl! You're absolutely amazing and it must feel so good to be around your family again.
Stay safe, and stay well, and don't hesitate to drink deeply from your cup of blessings!
xoxoxox

George said...

Rocking that hat Rachel. Great to see you out and about.

xoxo
George

Ruth B said...

I'm looking forward to walking with you next year! So hurry up and get this all over with ;-)