Sunday, May 26, 2013

I'm Home!!!

The doctors let me go home today since I had several days of rising counts with no fevers, and my neutraphils hit 0.5.  It took most of the day to get my medications, discharge orders, and home health training completed.  It also took that long to pack up the room - who knew you could collect that much stuff in one month!  Brant drove me and mom home.  It is so nice to be on my sofa updating this blog after saying good night to the kids.

I have to give a big thank you to the nurses and care partners that cared for me on the Acute Oncology floor at Massey Cancer Center.  After 32 days in the hospital I thought I met each of them at least one shift, but amazingly, there were some I never had.  They were all so professional, so competent, but so caring and gentle.  They worked together as a team and really supported each other.  They were my cheerleaders when I walked the halls and always had a smile of encouragement.  Whenever I had a float nurse from another floor, I could tell.  Although they were good, it wasn't like the regular team from oncology.  Thanks for all you did - although I am sad I will likely be back soon to visit you....at least I know I will get great care.

3 comments:

Anne Eason said...

Yeah!!! So glad to hear you made it home today!! I didn't know if Brant had gotten the word by the time we left the ball field. I know you are so happy to be home!

LP said...

Go Rachel! Awesome news! I know this is a very happy event for you. I am sure you are ready for the comforts of home. Thanks for the update. Xoxoxo, Lisa

kandi said...

Yipeee !!! Sooo excited for your family.... it's what we've been praying for !! We all only get one day at a time so enjoy this great beautiful day !!!!! love ya