Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Good Days and Bad

It is a quiet Wednesday evening in my luxurious accommodations of two weeks.  Mom left this afternoon for a few days at home and Brant will be down to visit me tomorrow.  So I am flying solo for the evening.  It is a good day for it to happen because I have been up and about today and feeling very well.

The tummy troubles have continued to plague me.  Lots of pain and I haven't eaten much since last Friday.  Yesterday was not a good day.  They decided to order a CT scan of my belly and then I had to drink like 1000mL of liquid prep - are you kidding me?!?  I am getting the scan because my belly hurts!!  The results during the night confirmed a very inflamed upper GI tract - which could be torn up from chemo, but could be caused by infection.  They started a new antibiotic overnight and by this morning I was breaking out in a rash....oops.  Switched me to another antibiotic and gave me some Benadryl and steroid cream.  The doctor says it is "benign" but it is kinda freakin' me out.  Actually it isn't too bad, just aggravating.

Despite all that mess, today has been great.  I managed a couple of continuous hours of sleep last night after the CT scan and woke up feeling good.  The nurse said that the lab tech was "super excited" to report my platelets were at 37 and I didn't need a transfusion of those.  My hemoglobin was 6.6 so I did get some red blood cells which always make me feel better. I managed a shower which is a MAJOR accomplishment with an IV pole and found that the hair loss has begun.  I was hoping it would wait until next week, but I realize it is inevitable.  The Massey Styling salon can shave it for me, but they are actually closed this week so I will probably just have to deal with shedding.

I had visitors from VDOT and it was nice to talk about something other than hospitals and medicine.  They brought well wishes from my co-workers which is really nice.  Yesterday when I was feeling pretty bad, I got my first cards in the mail and a care package from Hawaii.  Gertrude the IV pole now has some bling in the form of hand painted tree nuts.  I think she is happy with all the compliments. As you can see I have quite a windowsill of love and support!!  Thanks so much everyone.

The other really big news today is that my brother George in less than 2 days has gotten over $2500 in support for his half marathon.  He has moved into the top ten of individual fundraisers for the Sydney Half Marathon.  I told you he was an overachiever!!  Put some miles in for me, bro, I would love to be out on the beach with you!! Check out his site - Running4Rachel

5 comments:

Susan Madison said...

Rachel, you are so inspiring to me! You have such a sweet, strong, and faithful spirit; thanks for sharing that with all of us, even during chemo. I am praying for you and for the healing of your body.

Unknown said...

Rachel, you are the best. We are thinking about you often and pray you will be feeling better soon. Going through treatment is far from pleasant, but you are doing a great job of staying positive. That is sooo important. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Your hair will grow back quickly and you will be as pretty as ever. Your friends love you bald and all!
Jack and Dayna

LP said...

Just a quick note to send my love. Thanks so much for the updates. It means so much to know what is going on. Was telling my husband more about the awesomeness that is Rachel Brisbin Cox last night. Love sharing about how smart, beautiful, athletic, funny, faithful you are. I am hoping to grow up and be like you some day. Keep up the good work you are doing there. I know you are giving it all you have. Prayers my friend. Xoxoxo, Lisa

Russell VDOT said...

Hi Rachel hope all is as good as it can be. Praying for you every day and miss your smile.

John Brisbin said...

Yo, May 8th? Hello? Can we get some digits please? Remember you are here to serve others, and I'm wanting to know how you're going...
Hope you're back onto your feed again: the thought of you dropping all that weight is making me a bit jealous, though I will say your choice of weight-loss programs is a bit extreme? But you've always been out there on the edgy frontiers of over-achievment...
But seriously, get out of there and come home where the bacon smells divine and there's plenty of smiling faces around the dinner table!
xoxoxox