Saturday, May 18, 2013

Way to go George!

My brother George ran his first road half marathon today.  He decided to sign up for the Sydney Half Marathon just 2-1/2 weeks ago in my honor and was able to raise over $4000 for The Leukemia Foundation.  His unofficial time was somewhere around 1:47.  I am so impressed, and touched.  Thanks George.

So my sister Ruth walked a marathon for me last time I was sick and my brother George ran a half marathon for me this time. I will plan on this being the last go around with cancer because I'm not sure what my oldest brother John would be up to if there was a next time!!!!  I am sure it would be interesting.....

Things continue to go well in our little room.  Hard to believe it has been 3-1/2 weeks.  I have had a nice stream of visitors over the last few days.  The best was seeing Brant and the kids on both Friday and Saturday.  It is good to hear their stories and they walk the hallway laps with me.  They did not appreciate me introducing them to the nurses as "my babies".  Even though they always will be.

My blood counts have improved.  I was up to 18 on platelets today and didn't have to get a transfusion for the first time in I don't know when.  My RBC count went up on its own and the WBC ticked up from 0.5 to 0.6.  I am hoping this is statistically significant and not just within the margin of error of the testing.  Can't wait to get my lab sheet in the morning to see if I have gone up some more.  They are talking maybe a week and I can get out and take a break at home for a little bit before we move on with treatment.  It just depends on how quickly my counts recover.

Mom is doing well, too.  She changed my Hickman dressing today with the assistance of the nurse and did a great job.  She still has those nursing skills, even with the "new-fangled-gadgets-they-come-up-with-to-make-it-safer". She also went to a luncheon at the Hospitality House that was put on by a local church for people that are staying there while their loved ones are at MCVH.  She said the food and music were very nice.  I think it is good that she is able to get out and have some other contacts.  I am planning to kick her out for a few days next week so she can spend some time back home.

It has been a looooong day and I am ready to get some sleep!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go-George, Ruth,John, and Rachel. God is faithful.
Mom

John Brisbin said...

All great, Rachel. Keep those numbers on the upward trend. We're sending you our big love every day.
xoxox

Unknown said...

Glad to know things are improving. Hope you will get to go home for a while before treatment. You are in our prayers.
Jack and Dayna