Saturday, May 11, 2013

"Benign" Rashes and Low Counts

It has been a busy few days fighting symptoms and trying to keep things stable.  I used to be the easy patient that was given to a nurse because I didn't add too much work, but not so much anymore.  The drug rash that started on Wednesday became a major issue for me.  Although the doctors kept saying it was benign, it spread to cover almost my entire body.  It was extremely itchy and scary to look at.  The docs changed out all of my meds trying to make sure I wasn't still exposed to whatever was causing me to react.  On Friday, I had a dermatology consult and she confirmed it was a drug rash, and said that it was being "bled into" because my platelets are so low.  She changed up some of the meds to treat the symptoms and I have been feeling much better since then.  I still look pretty scary, but I guess it will go away eventually.

Brant was here Thursday and Friday and I enjoyed being able to spend some time with him.  I am hoping to see the kids again before too long.

On Thursday morning I had my bone marrow biopsy.  I am wondering how long before my hip bone looks like a piece of swiss cheese.  The guy doing it was pretty good.  He made the comment, "you have really strong bones" when he was done.  Funny, but I have heard this from each person that has done a biopsy on me so I am guessing that must mean it is a little tougher to get the sample.... It is hard not to be anxious about the results.  It will determine whether I do more chemo or not right now.  Please pray that the chemo wiped out everything and they find an "empty" bone marrow.  I should get results early next week.

Today I got hooked up to telemetry so they can keep an eye on my heart.  My potassium levels are very low and they just want to be safe.  More wires attached to me does not make me cheerful, but mom says I should be glad they are being so proactive.  I am pretty close to the "bottom" of the cycle (in my nadir), and hopefully will start rebounding soon.  My platelets were below 5 today which is really low so little blood blisters are popping up on my skin.  I have been spiking a temp about every night, but it comes down with Tylenol and the cultures they have drawn are all negative so far.

Despite all this stuff I actually feel pretty good today - especially since the rash is more under control. And if I can starting eating some food again,that will really make me happy!! Enjoy your weekend peeps...I think I will hang out here...



4 comments:

LP said...

Praying for "empty". Praying for relief from the rash. Praying for rest, rest, rest. Praying for no fever tonight. Praying that you are feeling overwhelmed by love. I am THANKFUL they are being proactive with the heart monitoring. Plus, I told them you are tough to keep in one spot, so they thought some extra wires might help ;)

Keep up the good, positive attitude. You may be there in that bed as one person, but you are being lifted up in prayer by a huge, fierce, relentless team around the world. We will not be shaken.

All right beautiful friend, rest when you can. xxooxxoo Lisa

George said...

Hi Rachel,

Good to see that you're posting again. I figured you were having a rough spell. Did the Dr's send Brant away? I mean your man shows up and you break out in spots!

I had an hour and ten minutes to think about you guys yesterday. I started a run in Maroubra and then ran past Coogee, Clovelly, Bronte, and Tamarama to finish at Bondi Beach. We had heaps of fun when you & the family were here and I'm looking forward to seeing you in OZ again.

Lots of love from down under,
George, Div, Cy & Lara

Kirsten Tynch said...

Glad the rash is getting better. It's a step in making you feel 100% again. Praying for "empty" bone marrow. Sounds like your bones are too strong to let bad things in!

I'm thinking of you (always), but especially on this Mother's Day. I'm sorry it can't be a perfect one, but I know there will be plenty of those in the future. Happy Mother's Day to a great mom, daughter and friend.

Keep your chin up!

Kirsten

Unknown said...

Thinking of you today. Hope you have a much better day. You are in our prayers and thoughts! Praying for good news!
Dayna & Jack