Monday, May 6, 2013

Running for Rachel

My brother George in Australia has recently taken up running and is getting very good.  He always pushes himself in life with new challenges and never likes the status quo.  He is going to run his second ever half marathon in my honor to raise money for Leukemia Research.  Check out his page here.:
Running for Rachel Half Marathon.    Even though we are half a world away, he is going to find a way to help.  Thanks George!!

Monday night is coming to a close and we can put another day in the books.  I had a little appetite today and tried a popsicle and some gatorade.  Then I tried a bite of frozen banana and found out that WAS NOT a good idea.  Hey - trial and error.... After an intense episode of pain, I was so relieved when it was over that I actually had a good day.  Happiness is relative sometimes. 

My counts continue to stay low as expected.  I had a bag of platelets and a bag of Red Blood Cells today to perk me up.  Unfortunately I was running a little fever in the morning so I had to go thru the battery of culture tests and wait for Tyelnol to bring down the fever before I could have my transfusions.  So the day stretched out pretty long.  No word on the fever but it has not returned since the Tylenol.  If you ever want to do something to help - DONATE BLOOD.  I can not begin to tell you how many blood products I will go thru over the next few months in order to support my poorly functioning bone marrow, but it is a lot.  So give whenever you can.

Mom and I wheeled around the hallway two different times today.  I was able to get up and walk a little of it, and enjoyed strectching my legs.  I'm looking forward to some rest tonight, and am hoping my needy friend "Gertrude" the IV pole will not keep me up beeping half the night with Air in Line.....

4 comments:

Davina Park said...

Hey Rach... hmm... a popsicle and gatorade - sounds like my kids dream food! Hopefully after a great rest tonight, you'll be up for something more substantial tomorrow ..

Just between you and me though, even the thought of frozen banana doesn't sit well on my stomach, and I'm not pumped full of chemo drugs! I reckon you should steer well clear of that gourmet delight! YICK!

Sleep well - and we'll send over some ear plugs to counter that incessant beeping from Gertrude!

Div xxx

Dawn Baker said...

Hi Rachel!!!

We sure do miss your smiling face here at the Cristiansburg Residency!!!

Hang in there, be positive and I am sending lots of love, prayers and strength your way!

We are all here for you if you need anything, let us know!

Dawn <3

George said...

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the cross-posting - Davina has always said my social media skills aren't that great.

Fantastic news is that we've already raised $2,000 for Leukemia research.

Be sure you go on the site and read all the wonderful comments left by the contributors: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/running4rachel

Charmaine said...

Hi Rachel,

I work with George. Hang in there girl. You will get through it!

Charmaine