Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Slow Progress

After watching my WBC  count rise Fri. Sat. and Sunday, I practically had my bags packed and figured I was out of here.  But of course, my plans aren't always realistic.  My WBCs have sorta just stalled yesterday and today.  It is a tad depressing.  The doctor said he thinks it is just a "slow recovery" and I have had similar experiences before.  It took me longer than expected to produce stem cells when I did my auto transplant in 2007.  And my cell count didn't recover in normal time when I did my first ABVD treatment in 2005.  Soooo, we will try thinking that my marrow is taking extra time to make extra good blood cells.  But it is hard not to worry and be impatient.

One of the other patients on the hall got discharged today and although I am so happy for him and his wife, I have a new term - "discharge envy".  In order for me to get out of here I have to achieve a neutraphil (related to WBCs)  reading of 0.5 for two days in a row and have no fevers for 2 days.  I have been doing well with no fevers, but my neutraphils have been stuck at 0.2 for three days.  I feel pretty good and am walking a the halls.  Yesterday I got back on the treadmill for the first time since before my chemo impacts took hold. Everything else seems to be recovering....my stubble is even growing out.

Watching all of the coverage of the horrible Oklahoma tornado today does put things in perspective.  My prayers go out to that community and all of the people that are dealing with such tragedy and loss.

Well, I better go hit my afternoon session with the treadmill.  I am hoping some praise music will lift my spirits a little.

2 comments:

Mom said...

You have made it to the one month mark at Camp MCV. Many thanks to family members who have donated blood, cards, and especially prayers for your recovery. Keep up the good work. Mom

kandi said...

Hey Rachel, I have been keeping up with all your progress (u r making great progress ! )I try to share it with Miss Pat when I see her ! She loves hearing about you and her eyes light up when I mention your name. I also have been praying for signs of hope, and really feel God has got you in His Hands and won't let you down. You just keep doing your work and He will take care of the rest ! Oh, and don't forget those little men, working and working for you ! You are the strongest (and most attractive without hair) person I know ! Keeping your whole family in my nightly prayers ! Love ya