Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day to me - EMPTY BONE MARROW!!!

Isn't empty bone marrow on top of every mom's wish list?  Right next to the new jewelry or a day spa gift certificate?? Well it was tops on my wish list for sure, but I didn't expect to hear anything until Monday at the earliest.  The doctor walked in during rounds and casually asked  "did they give you the good news about your bone marrow?"  I couldn't believe it!  I asked if he was sure it was my report!  He went and got me a copy for my own records.  Sure enough - no sign of disease post chemo.  Mom and I had lots of tears of joy and several prayers of thanks after he left.  I know this is just the first of many steps, but it is a big one! How great to get the process started in the right direction. Thank you for all of the prayers.  I am so happy that they have been answered!!

So this means that I will spend the next few weeks recovering in the hospital.  Once I am making my own blood cells again, they will do another bone marrow biopsy.  If my good cells grow back without any leukemia cells present, they consider me in remission and would work to move towards transplant as quickly as possible.  I am still waiting to hear if my sister or brother are matches.  Hopefully we will have some results this week,

My platelets continue to be very low.  The skin over most of my body where the rash was at has basically all bled together and is a lovely shade of purple.  I resemble Barney if you just painted my belly green.  The parts of me that did not have the rash are now covered in more little red dots from the blood vessels that pop with low platelets.  I can only imagine how much more lovely I am going to look when my hair falls out completely. The headlines will read -  Purple Polka-Dotted Bald Lady Scares Small Children.  Seriously though, it is pretty depressing to look in the mirror.  Mom tries to remind me that it is just an external thing and it is temporary.  I do feel better, I am starting to eat some solid food, I can walk the halls....  Now if they could just get my platelets and potassium levels up!!

Happy Mother's Day to all the lovely moms out there.  I got to talk to my awesome kiddos this morning and can't wait until I can give them big hugs again!!

7 comments:

Pam Ivey said...

Happy Mother's Day Rachel! We are rejoicing with you about your good news and grateful to God for it. We're praying for a full remission! Hang in there! You got this!

Pam

John Brisbin said...

You rock chick!!
Keep that energy high.
Much love from the other side of the world,
xoxoxoxoxoxxoxox

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day Rachel! Grateful for your good news and praying for you!- Heather & Rich

Anne Eason said...

Happy Mother's Day Rachel! We are so very happy to hear the great news! I cry, I laugh, and I cry some more - I love to hear your humor! Make sure you take pictures of your purple self - many years down the road YOU will look back and find the humor in your current situation. Keep your sense of humor as it will see you through the weeks ahead. We are praying for a full remission and know that your faith will make the days easier! Tell your mom how AWESOME we think she is!! Anne

Unknown said...

What awesome amazing news! We're all so very overjoyed at this major step. A couple of cute hats I knitted are on their way to you!!

Unknown said...

Hallelujah! So glad to hear the good report. When I lost all my hair I looked like a space alien! Thankfully, I grew it back. Now, every time I pluck my eyebrows I remember when I didn't have any! Remember, this too shall pass. Your present looks are temporary. People who love you do so no matter how you look. They are the ones who truly count in life. I doubt you will scare any children. They are used to seeing tattoos, bald heads, and weird looking dudes. They will just think you are another rock star. Put in a few body piercing and they will think you are coooool.

Gathering Me said...

What great news and I love that you got it on Mother's Day. Did you check the fine print on the bottom because maybe it did say that this result also entitles you to a Spa Day? I would imagine in the excitement that you could have missed that... :)
Your Mom is clearly a wise woman and I am glad she is able to be there with you.