Thursday, May 16, 2013

The "No" Do

You can't really call it a new hair-do if there is no hair...... After losing about 85% of my hair with it just falling out over the last 7 days, Massey's Magical Touch came to my room and finished up the job this afternoon.  The poor lady that cleans my room each day, I just know she was thinking "oh, now you cut it....". Even though I wasn't sure , the last 15% of my hair was looking a little too mad scientist and it had to go.  I have never actually had my head shaved before.  It felt kinda funny.  The hairdresser volunteer was very nice and gave me a do-rag and a quilt made by her church members for cancer patients.  The quilt has lemons on it, and I will try to think of making lemonade whenever I see it.

So I will be sporting lots of new headgear.  The above was made by one of the soccer moms.  And my brother made one that is travelling over from Australia. 

Things are going well here.  I lost my "progressive care" label and am just a regular old patient again.  My electrolytes have all been in a good range for over 24 hrs and they took me off of telemetry - yeah no wires! My platelets are still being a bit stubborn.. After going as low as 3, I am excited that they were up to 8 yesterday and 9 today.  If I hit double digits tomorrow I may not need my twice a day platelet transfusions.

The doctors are shifting me back to taking pills instead of getting my meds IV.  I am lazy and would prefer it stay IV, but then again, I don't want to bring Gertrude the IV pole home with me.  The doctors finally reduced the IV fluids that I am getting.  I told them I would like to sleep more than two hours without having to go pee!  Sorry if that was TMI.

So my job is to avoid germs, walk, and eat as well as possible while we wait for the white cell count to go back up.  Cancer is a lot about waiting......learning patience and dealing with the wait is something I am getting lots of practice with, but still struggle with. A verse that helps me is Psalm 27:14 - Wait on the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait on the Lord

9 comments:

LP said...

.....and more beautiful than ever!!! Love that smile, girl. Hey, awesome news about the telemetry and the counts going above 5. These are things that make my day. Thanks for continuing to blog thru all of this. You are amazing. More random reading to come on FB. xoxoxo, Lisa

Unknown said...

You are still beautiful, hair or not!

Jack and Dayna

Anonymous said...

Very glad to hear about your counts. Yes, you are beautiful-hair or not! Love you very much, Kim

Ruth B said...

Baby sister's so cute! I will bring George's hat on Sunday. Can't wait for you to model it.

EZ said...

Just want you to know that Harvest Baptist Church in Blacksburg VA is praying for you!

George said...

Never fear - my crochet creation is on its way to you on Sunday with Ruth. Enjoy!

Or if it doesn't fit, swap it out :-)

Anonymous said...

Good morning love.....you look beautiful sporting your new hat!! Looks like your blood is cooperating a little now....awesome. What is your visitation schedule like? Would you be up to see some strangers from Florida?

Love you--Susie

Anonymous said...

I like your hat and I surely admire your upbeat attitude. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. M.Miller

Anonymous said...

Hair is not the sum total of a person. We are judged by our Heart and you have what it takes. Take care and get well soon. Dan the Man