Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Delayed......

....I am definitely getting used to this! But it does seem much easier to tolerate hold ups when there is an end in sight and you know what you are going to do. I got a call yesterday that Dr. Moscowitz would be leaving town Tuesday by noon, and if I wanted to see him I would have to get there before then. We could have changed airlines (for a small fee of course!) and arrived around 10am, but it just seemed like it would be cutting it too close - especially if the weather was bad and we were delayed. So we have changed to a Friday morning appointment and will probably go up Thursday evening. This will give us a little more time which is good since I wanted to check out the options for short-term living when I am back for future treatments.

Dr. McGaughey confirmed I will be getting my first ICE treatment locally - yeah! I should know more details by the end of the week. It will be administered at Sentara Norfolk General, probably over a 3-day stretch. I am hoping it goes so well that Moscowitz thinks about doing round 2 down here as well.....but that may be wishful thinking! Other good news is that my PET scan results were consistent with the CAT scan - the disease appears to be pretty stable since December. There is one new active node, but it is small. Some of my other nodes were actually less active.

My big news is that I turned in my resignation this week and will be leaving my job as of Feb 26th. It will be really hard to say good-bye (already has been!), but I am very excited about being able to focus full time on treatment and family. I told the kids tonight and they were actually sad (great, huh?). Katie said "but Mommy, that is what you do, you can't leave!" When I explained that I wanted to spend all my time getting better and that leaving would let the City replace me with someone new, Chris said "oh yeah, just like a substitute". I laughed and said it would be sort of a permanent substitute, but he insisted that it would just be until I wanted to go back. Then they were both really excited about riding the school bus home (wait until they realize they can't go to Covenant after school - they will be begging me to go back to work!!!).

My cousin Cindy and her husband Bob showed up in town this week and I have enjoyed their company. Cindy has been clinically diagnosed as being too optimistic, and I have found her affliction to be a good one to be around. It does appear to be somewhat contagious. The kids absolutely love them since they are just over aged children themselves. So missing the trip to NY hasn't been too bad since it has given us more time to visit.

No comments: