Wednesday, February 21, 2007

ICE- Day 1

I am finishing up my first 24 hrs of chemo at Norfolk General. It was a little slow getting a bed and getting the chemo started, but I am finally underway. Yesterday I went to work while waiting on my call to come to the hospital. I couldn't help but see some parallels with when you are ready to deliver a baby - your bags are packed but you don't know when you are going, you can't help but be anxious about the pain and discomfort that you know is coming, and you know that when you leave the hospital in three days, you will feel a whole lot different!!!

For the technical stuff - I am getting ICE chemo that consists of Ifosfamide (two big bags that drip sloowllly), Carboplatin (once on the last day), and Etoposide (a 1hour drip given three times, 12 hours apart). So far it hasn't been too bad. I have that chemo brain feeling (dull headache and in a fog), the weird taste in my mouth, and am pretty tired. But the tired part could just be all the stationary time. I have a new friend (IV pole) that follows me everywhere and beeps when I hold my hand the wrong way. I had two IVs started and both were done very well and are not uncomfortable.

Last night I was woke up at 1:30am for bloodwork - how convenient. I really don't think they needed blood since it had been drawn less than 12 hours earlier and I had only been getting chemo for about 4 hours. But that is protocol. Suddenly I felt like I was at work and I had turned into a citizen that was complaining about our unreasonable policies that we didn't want to take the time to make exceptions for. So I tried to see it from the medical staff's point of view and realize that having standards helps keep things from falling thru the cracks.....but it still hurt..... and after my anti-nausea steroids, there was no getting back to sleep!!

As you can see, I have high speed internet access here. Very cool. My room is private and rather large, wish they had these over on the maternity floor a few years back when they stuck me in a closet with no bathroom! American Idol has helped kill the time in the evening. Since I was delayed getting started, I won't be discharged until Friday morning.

Thanks again so much for the well wishes and prayers. The support has been wonderful. I was reading my Bible today and came across this passage. It made me think about how may people are offering up prayers for me and I am just so grateful. Psalm 20:1-5 "May the Lord answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you. May he send you help from the sanctuary and grant you support from Zion. May he remember all your sacrifices and burnt offerings. May he give you the desire of your heart and make all of your plans succeed. We will shout for joy when you are victorious and will lift up our banners in the name of God"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel, You know you are in our prayers. We read your blogg all the time and think it is wonderful that you are doing this. Please let us know if there is anything we can do you ya'll. I know it is hard being the Mother, the wife and the patient, but remember God has a plan for you. Keep it up and we love ya'll. God Bless, Joanie
Harrell tcharrj@tcc.edu

Anonymous said...

First of all I want you to know that you truly are an inspiration. I can only hope that faced with a similar situation that I would handle it with half the fortitude that you have. Seriously.

Can I be you when I grow up? :)

Just so you know the crew is in place and ready to take care of eyebrows and eyelashes should that become necessary. ;P

I figure by the time you get out of there you will have restructured the organization and probably the protocol.

Thanks for taking the time to post your progress. I’m sure you have better things to do but it helps us (or at least me) a lot.

Be sure that you also concentrate on taking care of your new duties as “Soccer Mom” ;P

I’ll leave you will two of my favorite quotes. -- Meg

"The best portion of a good man's life is the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love." William Wordsworth

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson