Saturday, February 17, 2007

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Well I made it to NY and back, but not quite how we had planned. The flights were looking iffy because of the winter storm, so mom and I were going to switch to train. But then I wasn't able to book a return trip - by plane or train - until Sunday. So Brant decided the most reliable transportation to NY would be to drive me there. We left Thursday afternoon and Brant made the trip in just 7-1/2 hours. The roads were clear, but it got colder and colder as we headed north. We checked into the hotel Thursday night and woke up to 12 degree temps on Friday morning!!

Our hotel was nice - we got upgraded to a suite. But we were only on the 3rd floor so the symphony of taxi horms outside the window was a bit amusing. The hotel is right next to the East River at the Queensboro bridge. There is a restaurant/bar on the top floor and Brant & I went up to check out the view Thursday night. This picture doesn't do it justice, but you get a feel for it.
The next morning we ate at a diner on 1st Ave and could see Dangerfields across the street. The walk up to the hospital is only 5 blocks and with the sunshine it wasn't too bad. The hospital district, as I call it, is in a pleasant residential area.

The doctor's visit went well, the trio of Dr. Moscowitz, the resident working with him and his research nurse have all been great, and this visit was no different. While I was there, they decided to take some extra blood for two other studies they are doing on Hodgkins - apparently my blood is of interest to them! I should be ready to go for my first treatment of ICE chemo next week here at Norfolk General. Then I will start with Sloan Kettering in March - around the 8th - for another round of ICE and my stem cell harvest.

We checked out of the hotel at 1pm and headed out of town. I didn't envy Brant driving in the City. You just can't appreciate the traffic, the road conditions, and the aggressiveness of the drivers unless you experience it. It is nothing short of bizarre. And don't expect to get anywhere unless you are pushy yourself. I think the drivers smell fear and don't bother letting you in unless you prove you are willing to crash your vehicle, then they back off a little. I just closed my eyes mostly.

We headed out westbound to cross Manhattan and leave town via the Holland tunnel to the Jersey turnpike. But all of the sudden (and I do mean sudden, no signs, no other options to turn, etc...) we were headed eastbound across the Queensboro bridge (I think that is what it was). We were riding in what seemed like a separate pedestrian outside lane of the bridge that had been converted for vehicles in order to add some road capacity (this is probably not true, but it sure looked like it!) We were inches from a steep drop to the river with only a rusty, dilapidated rail between us and the air. They view was nice (when I could bear to open my eyes), but I think Brant's knuckles turned white gripping the wheel.
We were now in Queens and not sure we wanted to deal with turning around to get back to Manhattan. As navigator I plotted a route south and west via the Queens Expressway, and it only took a few last minute "no - this way!!" instructions, one turn around, and a quick stop for 7-11 employee directions to get there. The traffic was bumper to bumper but the route gave me some really cool views back towards Manhattan and also of the Statue of Liberty out in the bay. Too bad Brant couldn't really look, but I did appreciate him getting us out of town safely. The trip home took over 9 hours......yuk!



Sorry for the long post. I'll check in next week and let you know how the chemo goes. As of right now, I am scheduled to be admitted on Tuesday.

3 comments:

George said...

Rachel,

I really enjoyed reading your post and hearing how you are going. Good news that you got the second consult with them & it sounds like the timings are starting to come together.

When do they expect your ICE & other treatments to be over?

On this side of the planet we are thinking about taking advantage of Davina's planned work trip to the US in late May / early June. I was tentatively thinking about travelling together to LA & then Div would go to her conference for week in MN while the kids & I headed to VA. John is also rubbing shekels and casting chicken bones to forecast his future & travel plans.

No worries if there is no firm dates yet. From reading your posts it seems like you need to be pretty mellow to go with the flow.

Lots of love from all of us.

Anonymous said...

Have I every told you that I admire your ability to stay completely positive even when you are told you have "interesting blood!" :) Anyway, I'm happy all went well and that you are starting treatment tomorrow. Our prayers are with you, talk to you soon. Regan.

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
Just got the blog info from your mom a little while ago. I am so glad you are doing this. It helps us stay in touch. I talked to your mom yesterday and she told me you were receiving the chemo and that you were sick as a dog. Gosh! I remember those times. I use to go back and forth from chemo with a large zip lock bag in my lap. I threw up all the way there and back! Thanks goodness those times don't last forever.
When you get through that stuff, let me know so we can do lunch. Yes, you will feel like looking at food again.I can bring it by your place if you can't go out, or we can go out. Just let me know. You are in our thoughts and prayers. You are a special lady!
Love,
Dayna