Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Feeling Much Better

I am strong enough to be at home alone today - we'll see how long that lasts before someone drops by to do laundry probably :)!! I am feeling much better and no longer taking any anti-nausea meds. My doctor's visit yesterday went well. My white blood cells were down to 1000 (normal range is 4,000 - 11,000) and will be dropping further this week. So no going out to public places, no fresh vegetables or fruits, avoid sick people, and do lots of hand washing thru the weekend. Any sign of fever means a quick trip to the doctor. He did start me on a heavy duty antibiotic for the next seven days as precautionary measure. I also got three days of potassium HORSE pills since I guess my electrolytes got out of whack. Other than that, my only symptoms are fatigue and some vicious acid reflux (caused by the chemo and being handled with Prilosec).

It is wonderful to feel alive again. I think it is true that you can't fully appreciate some things unless they are taken away from you. Your health definitely ranks up there as one of those things.

I hope to enjoy the next week recuperating (hopefully with no infections!) and getting ready for Round 2. As it stands now, my Mom and I will leave for New York next Wed for another round of ICE at Sloan Kettering. I will have blood work done on Monday that will determine if I am still on track.

2 comments:

George said...

Rachel,

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Or at least I think that's what you said ;-) I'm going to have to go medical night school just to figure out what's going on over there!! It sounds like you've had hurts in places that I didn't even know that I had places.

Anyway, great to see you posting with some good cheer. Is it polite to say that I'm looking forward to the results of your blood test? :-0

With the quarantine in place I guess you'll be working hard on my favourite indoor sport - sleeping. You could always pretend that you are in some sci-fi thriller like "28 Days Later" or "12 Monkeys" and you have to stay inside to avoid the xxx plague. EVEN BETTER - get the Decameron by Boccaccio. You might remember the setting is of ten friends in the hills above Florence trying to wait out the Black Plague and each telling a story on ten nights. It's actually a bunch of short stories that are easy to read. You could put yourself in a villa in Italy ...

http://books.google.com/books?vid=OCLC10820414&id=LaQoabPyUQgC&pg=RA2-PR13&lpg=RA2-PR13&dq=the+Decameron#PPP16,M2

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3726

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Decameron


Love you and hope your treatment goes fantastic.

George A, Div, Cyrus & Lara

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,

Ruth just sent your blog to us....WOW!! I have always enjoyed your positive attitude, humor and style. Now I truly appreciate your writing.

I can barely imagine what you are going through, particularly answering questions from the little mouths and sweet faces of your children. Always remember the positive simple answers that you give are the way we should always be feeling. And, I can't imagine my aunt in NYC!!!!

Ron and I might be traveling to the city at the end of the month, keep us posted if you are up for visitors.

You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers.

Love you,
Susie (Ron, Jackson, Alex and Katie, too!)