Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Day -1 and CHEMO IS DONE

Today is my day of rest. I finished my BCNU chemo last night around 7:30pm. This chemical is sorta related to mustard gas....nice..... It got a little rough towards the end but luckily it was time for Idol and then some sleeping meds. I had a long night of potty breaks (these are sooooo old) and one time woke up scared that there was an evil scarecrow blocking my way to the bathroom. It took a few minutes to realize it was my IV pole that I needed to tote with me.

Today I feel much better and was able to eat a little breaksfast. My white blood cells and neutrophils (the special WBCs that fight infections) are well under 0.5 on their way down to zero!! So my diet has changed to neutropenic and as of tomorrow the door to my room will close and no more walks in the hall. My platelets and red blood cells have been hanging in there, so no transfusions yet, but probably in another day or two.

Mom is out today getting her "therapy".....doing laundry at a little spot she found around the corner. All in all we are doing well. I am so grateful to have made it thru chemo and am praying my low count symptoms will be mild.

2 comments:

John Brisbin said...

Our thoughts are with you, Sis...you're surrounded by love and the best possible care.

We've already contacted some people down there about the scarecrow: they have assured us that no crows will be allowed in after tomorrow, so sleep easy and focus on *mild* not wild!

Many huge hugs and a vicarious note of respect to your circle of carers: professional, maternal, and beloved...

xoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Hi, Rachel -

Just make sure that the Cowardly Lion, Tin Man, and the Wicked Witch of the West don't show up.

Glad to hear that you are through the first of the many steps to recovery. We pray for you all the time and hope that the path before you (even if it will be limited to one room) will be smooth sailing from here.

Lots of Love,
Stephanie