Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Time Flies

I can't believe I am heading back to New York tomorrow. It would be nice to stick around a few more weeks, but we might as well get on with it! Plus, we don't want to give the cancer any time to show back up before blasting my system with high dose chemo and the stem cell transplant. I'd like to make sure it is gone for a long, long, long time (say - forever!). I had a weird pain in my neck over the weekend and went to see Dr. McGaughey Monday. He sent me on Tuesday for an evaluation of my catheter - they inject dye into the catheter and take an x-ray type picture. There was some concern that a small clot had formed or else the catheter tube was out of position. Everything checked out fine, so my catheter did not need to be removed. I have a real love-hate relationship with the thing, but I am definitely glad that it is in place and ready to be used tomorrow. No IV sticks!!!

The time at home has been great, but the last few days have been so very sad as we watched the horrible events unfold at Virginia Tech. Since Brant and I are both alumni, it hurts deeply to see this happen to the wonderful students and faculty at our alma mater. There just aren't words to express the sadness. Please keep all of the Hokie community, especially the families who lost loved ones, in your prayers. We ask God to help guide the healing process so that it may eventually leave all those impacted stronger in their living and their faith. And if you would like, this Friday is Orange and Maroon Day, please wear one of these Virginia Tech colors to show your support.

Our flight leaves tomorrow morning and I will need to make it to the clinic to see Dr. Moskowitz before noon. Let's hope the weather and air traffic controllers cooperate! I still have quite a bit left on my "to-do" list around here, not to mention packing. So it will be my typical last minute, late night scramble. The kids are much sadder to say good-bye this time - they know better what it means. We are focusing on the summer and having fun once it is all over. Please pray that the time goes quickly for them so they don't miss mommy too much. Hopefully school and baseball will keep them busy!

Thanks for all of the continued support. I will try to check in tomorrow evening - hopefully from my hospital room after being admitted.

1 comment:

George said...

Hi Rachel,

I tried to phone you yesterday, but we missed. I hope you got the message I left.

Thinking of you all the time and what you must be going through. You and the "team" have done a great job to get to where you are. I'm sure one more round will just be taken in your stride.

Flights confirmed and paid for - tickets should be issued soon. We will be in the US in a little over 4 weeks!

Love you,
George A.