Saturday, April 7, 2007

Home Sweet Home!!

I can't believe I am finally home and having fun around the house with the kids. Brant greeted me with roses late last night at the train station and the kids brought me a candy bar tied to a balloon - it doesn't get any better than that!!!

I made it thru 5 days of collection and managed to get a total of 5.9 million stem cells (another 1.8 Thurs and 1.4 Friday). I thought about demanding a recount since I really wanted to make the 6.0 million target, but instead I’m trying to remember how awesome it is to get as many as I did. This time last week I was concerned about being in the 10% of folks that just don’t seem to be able to produce stem cells in their blood stream for collection. I did not want my cells collected thru a bone marrow procedure – painful!!!

We had reservations yesterday for the 2pm Amtrak train leaving New York, and it was so sweet how all of the staff members in the donor room were intent on us making that train. I had to get a blood transfusion due to low red blood cell count, and that added an hour to the procedure. But we made it to Penn Station with time to spare. Here's a big THANK–YOU to Joan, Kelly, Bernadette, Jane, Eilleen, Dr. Reich and everyone else there rooting for us!!!

Have a great holiday weekend everyone! I know that we will enjoy our time together. Of course, watching the snow cover our patio furniture isn't exactly normal for Easter weekend, but we will still have fun indoors!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel,

What a blessing and Easter gift for the kids for you to make it home! I am so glad to hear that you are well. We are here at Nellie's in Charlotte for the beginning of a Spring Break siesta and all of us are sending you our very best wishes. I hope to see you when we get back. Please get your rest and regroup so that you are ready for your return trip to NY that you wow them with how you transplant all those 6 MM cells....that's right, girlfriend--you get to 5.9 and you get to round up!

Love you,
The Cunninghams

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Rachel-

It has been so long since we last talked. I am so glad to hear about your progress and will pray for you and your family. I heard that you have 2 beautiful children -are they are smart as their mommy??? Please tell Brant that I said hello and that I'm thinking about you guys. Happy Easter and remember to keep the faith- You have a lot of people pulling for you!!!
Love,
Nellie

Stacy J said...

Welcome Home, Rachel! We here in the Planning Department hope that you enjoyed your Easter weekend and time with your family. I'm sure that the word 'Enjoyed' is a gross understatement. We'll keep checking on ya! Take care.

Love, Stacy

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel, I am glad that you made it home in time for Easter. Al Williams shared your blog information with all us folks in TRC. I'm just dropping by to send some love and support your way.
Take Care,
Susan Hamilton
shamilton@nngov.com

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ!
Have fun!
Cyndi