Thursday, April 19, 2007

Here we go.....

It is that time again...chemo time. It is so much fun, I got a headache just thinking about it. But on the bright side....I'm praying it is the last cycle I get! So it is 3:00 pm and I am in my hospital room with the pre-chemo IV fluids flowing. It is hard to believe that a little over eight hours ago I was in Virginia kissing Brant and the kiddos good-bye. Katie gave me one of her favorite stuffed animals to keep me from being lonely and Chris gave me a giant hug that didn't seem to end!

Travel and hospital admitting went smoothly this morning and I am in my new home at Sloan Kettering for the next 4-5 weeks. How long depends on how quickly my blood counts recover......hmmmm......I think we had this issue last time..... But I have decided to try having less expectations about how the treatment will feel or how long it will last. Instead, I'll just take it each day as it comes. Speaking of days, today is Day -6. Everything is counted from the day I get my stem cells transfused which will be Day 0. So if my chemo stays on track, I will get stem cells next Wednesday.

We are getting unpacked and settled into my room. It is a large room with a nice view to the east. There is a convertible sofa for mom or Brant to sleep on and lots of built in shelving and cabinet space. Most things, including the flooring, are done in wood which makes the room feel friendlier than your average hospital room. I have a computer with internet as well as a TV w/DVD & VCR. They just remodeled this floor less than two years ago, and they did it knowing that patients are here (often confined to their rooms) for long strecthes of time. We will try to make the most of it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. This site has been very helpful for me as I go thru this process. I love feeling connected to everyone, and it really helps me stay positive.

PS - It took over two hours to get this posted because I kept having to do my patient history and be examined by each group of staff - the nurse, the doctor, the nurse practioner. They all ask and do about the same thing so I am feeling like a broken record!!! But it is now about 5pm and I have been cleared to start chemo....my cocktail should be arriving any minute now!

2 comments:

John Brisbin said...

Hey there darlin sis,

Hope they served your cocktail on the rocks with a bit of salt and lime?

Sounds like you've got a wired room: I was hoping you might be able to stay in the ether easily.

We'll be packed and headed out of town on Thursday (day 1?) so our last time to check in on the site will be Weds.

Our thoughts are with you...go like a champion!

xoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Rachel and Fellow-Hokie Dear Friend,

Even with the distraction and sadness of this week, we were steadily praying for you and this second round of the fight. Please know that we are with you in spirit and wish you the best for a speedy end to this session. Make sure to decorate that beautiful hospital room with lots of VT colors. Know that, even in the darkest hours and through the hardest of times, your Hokie brethren are united across the nation and the love that we all had inside is displayed for the world to see. May that bring you comfort in the days ahead. We love you! Be Strong!

The Cunninghams