Thursday, March 22, 2007

All Juiced Up

I woke up this morning very weak and blah, but excited to have a big outing to my doctor's appointment. We are finding out that despite a kazillion yellow cars driving on the roads, empty taxis aren't always there when you want them.

Dr. Moskowitz was his usual upbeat self. They checked me out and confirmed that my white blood cell count (immunity) is next to nothing. My red blood cells and hemoglobin were also low. Since these are the cells that carry around oxygen to your body, that is the reason I felt so wiped out. He sent me for two units of blood which took a LONG time to get (we got back to the apt. around 8pm) but I feel much better.

So here is my public service announcement - PLEASE DONATE BLOOD whenever you get the chance. I have used 3 units in the last week and it is such a lifesaver. Sure, it is a little inconvenient and the stick is no fun, but I guarantee that the people who receive your blood are enduring much worse. Besides, you get free juice and cookies and they really treat you like a hero!! (Which every blood donor is!)

I also had my dental check today. Because the transplant process will make you so vulnerable to infection, they check out your mouth before you undergo transplant to make sure there isn't any cause for problems. I checked out fine - no need to pull teeth!

I haven't said much about Sloan Kettering in my blog, but I have to tell you how awesome this place is. All of the staff is so well trained and professional. Everyone, from the reception desk thru to the nurses and doctors, treat you like you are the reason they are here. Which is obvious, but how many places can you think of that really have that kind of customer service? All of the processes and procedures here are geared towards treating you like a VIP, even if it isn't the most cost effective or efficient way to do things. It is like they always ask themselves - will this make it better or worse for our patients? I am so thankful we were able to come here. It really feels like the right place to be for my best chance at success.

1 comment:

Stacy J said...

Rachel,

It's Stacy again. I meant to comment on your earlier blog where you explained your procedure. That helped me to understand what my mom went through. Just think, soon you'll be home in Chesapeake. Hooray! You are missed. Your dad made the Planning Department breakfast. We appreciate it, but really think that he's keeping himself busy until you all come home. Keep getting better!

Love, Stacy