Saturday, March 24, 2007

Tick Tock Tick Tock

The days drag on and I think I have memorized the bricks on the building across the street that I see outside our window. So many of you have complimented me on having a great attitude and spirit, so I am ashamed to admit that I have been a bit....errr...grumpy? But I am under strict orders to laugh at least once a day, and Mom definitely enforces that rule and also allows no moping.

I have been struggling with a slight fever and a few other symptoms these last few days of no immunity. Hopefully my counts will start picking up and I will be out of the woods by Monday when they will start collecting my stem cells. I will also have a PET scan and CAT scan that day to see if the two rounds of chemo did their job. We are hoping for a complete remission of the cancer before the final transplant step. The anxiety of what they will see on the film is starting to creep into my head a little. It is hard not to worry as you approach these testing milestones.

Of interest.....my transfusion nurse the other day at the outpatient clinic was a "travel" nurse. This is where you sign up with an agency to spend several months as a contract nurse at locations of your choice around the country. She and her husband decided to take a little time to travel before he started grad school next fall. Manhattan is their first stop and they are going to Arizona next. Nurses are in such demand....they have some really cool programs to recruit them. Here at Sloan, I think they get the best of the best. My one RN on the floor had her BS from Georgetown. And there is a Nurse Practitioner over the regular nurse that you see on a daily basis as well. They do not skimp on staff.

Well, I had a two block walk today to get some air. If the weather cooperates tomorrow we may get a take-out sandwich and have lunch in Central Park. Then before you know it, Monday will be here and I will be busy with appointments and getting ready to come home hopefully by Thursday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Queen of Grumpy waves her magic wand and all grumpiness on your part will be absorbed! =) I am praying for Monday to be a fantastic, or at least productive, day.

Anonymous said...

Let us remind ourselves that you Rachel are a beatiful human bean!
Gas that wasn't the right smelling!
Don't worry your farting around waiting for stuff will be soon followed by little people (who I adore by the way)tugging on your clothes to do this and to do that, soon, very soon! Promise!!!!

I am turning it all over to God's speed for permanent recovery and I am praying right now this very second...you get completely healed, you quickly and safely get back to your love nest! And for God to unveil his plans to you in mind and spirit and bring you peace. For God to do what he brought you to life and brought you this far to do! Whatever that plan is! To be nurses? Whatever! Let's get mentally ready now and plan and prepare for your hard fought and blessed healing and cleansing(literaly)!!!!! OK? I'm more worried about you eating a central park take out sandwich! Have aunt Lois check it out first,ok?
Rachel, when my mind went where I couldn't go I had to give those thoughts to God, over and over and over, he understood why and he loves me for it.
When my heart weighed 1000 pounds too much I carefully placed it in God's loving hands where he kept it safe for me.
When my body would not do what it must do for me to survive, I asked and begged God to please do whatever renovations to me from where he lives, inside me. I really believe he will take care of this whole thing for you and things will be better very soon.
I am counting on it! Big big big long hug. Cyndi and Bobby PS to Brant---Go Gators Chomp Chomp!