Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Hair No More

So yesterday my hair started dropping out en masse. If you have a dog that sheds you might be able to appreciate this analogy.....it wasn't so much the shedding of hairs all over the place as it was the major clumps that you can pull out when a dog loses its undercoat. I know, I know......Yuk!! It kinda freaked me out. Luckily today I already had a friend lined up to cut my hair and give my wig a little trim. Brant almost went ahead and shaved it for me last night, but we decided to wait for the professional. The pics of the big day are below.

On the health side, I had my blood rechecked today, and although my white blood cells are rebounding well, my platelets fell further and I had to get the platelet transfusion today. It wasn't a big deal, it just took forever waiting on the platelets to arrive. They were irradiated which I guess required extra time. I teased with the nurse that I had probably made enough of my own platelets while waiting and should be able to skip the transfusion. No such luck. So it looks like mom and I will take the train to NY on Thurs and start my treatment on Friday.

Brant's friends at work arranged for us to have four catered meals - THANKS!! They arrived today and we had fun sampling them all. Then we put the leftovers in individual containers and now have several meals in the freezer for Brant while he is doing the single dad thing over the next few weeks. I will miss the Brant and kids, but I am so happy that he will be here for the kids. It will be much easier on them in my absence to have Dad running the show. (even though grandparents are great fun, there's nothing like your own parent there to help things feel more normal).

All pictures were taken by Chris:



Before the scissors












Caught in action and the hair that got left behind
..




My new short "do"







The wig - I actually bought it in 2005 but never wore it since my hair just thinned a lot and I wore hats once it got too thin.

2 comments:

Stacy J said...

Rachel,

It's Stacy Porter. I'm keeping up with your site. I LOVE the wig. It's definitely YOU! George made sure we could keep up with the happenings in your life. Just know that prayers have been sent your way. I'm hoping for the very best. Take care and keep on Blogging!

- Stacy

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,

I LOVE the wig, you look gorgeous in it. Chris is quite the photographer isn't he :-). What a shame your trips to NY aren't going to be full of Broadway Shows, shopping and eating in one of the fabulous villages. When this is all over, you and Brant will have to splurge on a long weekend to have fun in NY. Thinking about you girl, the next swim in Bondi is dedicated to you :-).

Lots a love Div