Thursday, March 29, 2007

Groundhog Day

The technician in the Donor Room said that I was reminding her of the movie Groundhog Day where each morning starts over as the same day repeating itself. Today for me was not much different. My WBC did "jump" up to 1.5, but no stem cells yet. And my platelets dropped back to 10,000 so it was off to the clinic for another transfusion. I think the blood bank is going to start charging me extra for hitting them up so hard this week. Since last Thursday I have had 4 units of blood and 3 units of platelets.

At my doctor's appointment Moskowitz did express some concern that my marrow wasn't responding well, although I am creeping back up in the right direction. If I can not begin collection by next Monday he said we will have to "regroup" on how to get stem cells for my transplant. Great..... He also said this will probably mean my transplant recovery will take longer than usual, so prepare myself for a longer hospital stay. Great.....

We walked back home (Mom says I stomped) which was a good energy release and gave me time to think. I have to keep reminding myself that although I feel "trapped" in NY, this will not last forever. And I have a lot of great things to be thankful for.....including a negative PET scan, a flexible place to stay, a great husband that is doing fine with the kids back in VA, and about a kazillion people praying and rooting for me. Walking thru the halls of Sloan Kettering each day I see the faces of so many people struggling with this terrible disease. I am reminded of just how blessed we have been with my situation. Homesickness is a minor problem in the grand scheme of things.

No comments: