Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St. Paddy's Day

It is a nice day in NYC, sunny and warmer and the snow is clearing out. I guess you can tell by the frequency of my posts that I am a) feeling better and b)lacking things to do!! Big news today, found out we do have cable (the cord had fallen out on the back of the TV) and so Mom and I can watch some NCAA tournament!

Today Mom switched gears from light duty to skilled nursing - she did my first dressing change on the catheter and gave me my two Neupogen shots. Both done like a seasoned nurse.

I convinced mom that today was a good day for an outing. The NYC St. Patrick's Day parade was only two blocks away. I promised if it was crowded or if I got tired we would go straight back. But the cool air felt great and the short walk to the parade was good exercise. It was easy to catch a view of the bagpipes and the green hair of the parade watchers.


















Central Park is just on the other side of the street and it was pretty with snow and sledding kids and dogs (of course). I even bought an Irish hat for myself since I didn't have anything green:


After a little while at the parade we stopped at a cafe to split a corned beef Reuben sandwich - YUMMY!! We felt that we had done our best to honors mom's red-headed Casey heritage and went on back to the apartment. I thoroughly enjoyed my 1-1/2 hour outing and know that they will be more limited next week when my blood counts are lower.
Other than that it has just been hanging at the apartment. Mom did another pharmacy run today. She is quite a pro with the senior fare on the bus and walking the blocks. I'm a little nervous when she is out alone, but she keeps a cell phone and doesn't go far. Back in Virginia, Brant has finished a first work week in single dad style. He is doing great and I hope there is a spot for me when I get back home. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your Patty Day pics. I am so glad you had an opportunity to get out.Good for you. I know your mom is exactly where she wants to be...tending to you! We are praying for you. The Lord brings you to my rememberance often!

Give your mom a big hug from me. I love her so much. She has brought so much joy in my life.
Love ya,
Dayna

Anonymous said...

HI Rachel!
Glad to hear you are feeling better!I am sure it was nice to get out for a while. We got a litte taste of what you are going thru this weekend. Charlie had to be admitted into Maryview last night. He had to have his appendix removed. We are back home today but exhausted. Charlie is doing fine and should be feeling better soon. "Sleeping" in a hospital stinks! I am glad your treatments are going well and you'll be home before you know it. The Yankees have a scrimage on Wednesday. I'll try to remember to take some pics and send them to you. love and prayers, DeeDee

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,
Glad that things seem to be going well for you. Thoughts and prayers are w/ you. Caroline [from stock club]