Thursday, March 8, 2007

We Arrived!!

It was a several Kleenex morning leaving Brant and the kids. We survived as we tried to remember that this is but a brief moment in the big picture of our lives. Then it was off to the train station for a pleasant ride to New York. Amtrak was running a little behind, so the end of the trip dragged on...... But it has been a long time since I rode the train and I was impressed with how much room you have (not like an airplane!). They don’t have wireless on board yet, but I hear it is coming. We were stuck outside of Richmond for a little bit and I could pick up signal from some nearby condos. It is so nice of folks to not secure their networks!

It was good spending the day with mom – we will have several more, too. I am so blessed to have my own private duty nurse to bring along for my treatments in NY. It makes me kinda sad for our kids that I didn’t choose a career more useful to them – like being a teacher or a nurse. Oh well, one day they are going to want to buy a house and I can advise them as to whether there is good drainage – ha!

I also want to say thanks to so many people who have sent cards and goodies to us. Last night when I was packing up (very late!), I raided the various baskets and bags. I haven't had time (or been allowed) to get out to a store, but I found everything I needed in those packages. So I was well stocked with with an inspirational bag filled with reading material, note cards, pens, snacks, chocolate (essentials!), socks, kleenex, gum, even a little pillow and a knitted cap to keep my bald head warm (yes, sadly it is all gone.....). It makes me smile and think of you all when I look at each item and know where it came from. THANKS AGAIN!!

The plan is to have my collection catheter installed tomorrow (Friday). This is like a giant IV going into the larger veins in your upper chest area. They will use it to run my chemo in and then later next week to collect my stem cells out. Although I’m not crazy about having tubes hanging out my chest, it will be nice to avoid the IVs in my arm and the damage that is caused when you put chemo into those smaller veins. Hopefully this will mean no sticks during my hospital stay! I will also have labwork done to see if I am ready for Round 2 of ICE. I should start it Friday afternoon or Saturday. I'm not sure what the wireless situation will be at Sloan Kettering, but will post again when I am able.

1 comment:

George said...

Rachel,

Glad to hear that you made it to NY. Amtrack, wow, that's been a long time. Did you get up to the observation car like we used to do? I can remember riding the trains and playing cards on the way to Indiana.

And how big a geek are you - sniffing for open wireless networks and hacking into them!

Hope your treatments are going well. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Love, George