Monday, March 26, 2007

No Stem Cells Today

Apparently my white blood cells and stem cells haven't been keeping up with my blog. Otherwise, they would have known they were supposed to show up today!!! Aaaarghhh! I have places to go...... I am actually handling it ok. My WBC count was 0.4 and it needs to be above 3.o before collection can start in order to avoid infections. There were no CD34 cells (the stem cells) circulating yet, but I was assured they would show up very soon. I will go back to check tomorrow, but it may be Wednesday before collection can begin. I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I can come home Friday, but it definitely feels like a moving target.

My platelets were very low, and needed a transfusion to boost them back up. The doctor in the blood bank room walked my platelet order over by hand and negotiated a spot for me at the outpatient clinic. That enabled things to go quickly and me to keep my afternoon appointments for a CT scan and PET scan. I am not due to see the doctor until Thursday, so I don't know if I will have any results before then. Ah, the waiting game....

The weather was too cool yesterday to sit in the park. We found a nice little Mexican restaurant and enjoyed a late afternoon lunch (no crowds!) eating and people watching. The food was great and it was nice to be out. My fever has ended and I am feeling much better. So my cell count is definitely on the way back up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moving targets for home, bad. Blood cell counts up, good, very good. Hope you both are not getting too much cabin fever.

Anonymous said...

Okay so what happened nest? Have the WBC risen and the stem cells arrived??

Arrivals: I have just arrived here with George and Div and we've been talking about lots of things, and centrally, how you're doing.

We're very keen to see you as soon as we can...Caro and Varsha and I will probably get over there a bit earlier, check in with you, and then go for a drive and come back when George and Div arrive.

How are you feeling toady...? Our thoughts and our best energies go to you, Rachel. Stay strong, stay resolute, stay flexible, and above all keep that wicked sense of humour well charged up!

xoxoxox

JB