Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Day +13

Yesterday and today have been a little challenging as I have not felt very good.  It is hard to say exactly what is wrong, I guess just a general blechy feeling as if I had chemo.  Oh yeah, I did, but I thought I was past those feelings.  Today was a little better and maybe tomorrow will be an improvement as well.  My appetite is gone and I have a very metallic taste in my mouth. Extra napping has been on the daily agenda.

But medically I continue to improve.  My WBC count is 4.8 this evening which is very good.  My platelets are above 100 and hemoglobin is 8.7.  So I am no longer receiving transfusions.  What a relief to get those steroids out of my system!!  Today they took me off almost all of my IV meds and gave them in pill form.  Several of my antibiotics were also stopped.  They are saying I may get discharged tomorrow if I do well thru the night and don't spike any fevers. That is crazy that I could be out of here on Day 14!! . Everyone comments on how well I am doing....just wish I kinda felt that way. When I get discharged I will be right down the street and be spending most of my days in the clinic.  But I am thinking a little fresh air, sunshine, and non-hospital food will help how I am feeling.

I have enjoyed following Brant and Katie up at Cooperstown this week while she is playing baseball with her team at the Cooperstown Dreams Park.  Two of her six games are televised via the internet and she hit one over the fence while I was watching!!  It was really special.  I wish we could all be there together, but I'm glad they were still able to make the trip.  Chris has been hanging out back home with my sister and she brought him up for a visit which was wonderful!  I have been pretty homesick lately and really enjoy every chance I get to see Brant and the kids.

4 comments:

George said...

Hi Rachel,
What a bummer you're feeling bletchy, but how delightful does discharge sound!? I'm sure your patient advocate won't let them push you out of there if you're (and she's!) not ready.

Great to hear you're getting to watch some baseball action from Katie. I really enjoyed watching her scrimmage.

Take care,
George A

Davina Park said...

Yahoo for all those great numbers! Boohoo for feeling ick :-(

How amazing is technology. Watching the game live from your hospital room many states away! ... and no doubt getting non-stop updates via your phone :-)

Looks like we are getting Ben and Casey tomorrow night. I've just told the kids they have a grown-up cousin coming to visit. They had no clue he existed (we've told them before, but it was obviously too abstracted to sink in at the time!) I'm dying to meet them :-)

Enjoy the sunshine and fresh air when you break free!

Dxxx

kandi said...

You are sooo allowed to have some blue and yucky days (even if your numbers are good) !!! and rest is a good thing! God knows what a good soldier you are. Been scrap booking Bill & Michelle's wedding pictures, you would be very proud of me . Sending lots of love kandi

Stephanie Cunningham said...

So glad prayers for healing are being answered. Sorry that you are feeling yucky. I think it is the ultimate brotherly noogies from the inside out! :) Sending much love and prayers your way every day.