Saturday, August 31, 2013

Past Day 30....

Well Day 30 came and went yesterday without much fanfare, but it is a significant milestone.  I am thankful that there have been no fevers, infections, etc thus far.  I realize things can always change tomorrow, but it is nice to have made it to this point with only the annoyance of nausea, loss of appetite, and fatigue.  My white blood cells have been trending up the last few days - I hit 2.7 yesterday and was 2.4 today. They will fluctuate and that is normal.

I had my Day 30 biopsy on Thursday.  It went fairly well.  They are testing out a new drill to replace the hand auger method.  I allowed them to use it on me since it didn't seem like it could be much different.  But I was a little startled when it sounded like he was working on a deck. Guess I wasn't thinking that a drill would come with drill sounds!! Duh.  I think it is probably just a Black&Decker that they made in white and jacked the price up a kazillion dollars.  The biopsy results probably won't be available until Tuesday because of the holiday weekend.  I will post as soon as I know something

Funny mom story - On Thursday we headed into the infusion room which has about 10 recliners for patients getting treatment and a little chair next to each for a caregiver/visitor.  Mom barely had time to set her stuff down before she started making rounds to say good morning to everyone, check on those she knew, meet those she didn't, etc.  I mumbled something about mom thinking she was the official greeter in the room.  Next to me was a guy sound asleep under his blanket.  As mom came back to my chair, the nurse asked her with a completely straight face - "I can wake him up if you need to talk with him"  We all laughed so hard.  The nurses are so funny and upbeat. It is good to get a laugh in like that at least once each day.

I had a visit today from a friend in Blacksburg, and it was so nice to chat.  It is great that Richmond is along the route between the beaches and the Burg!  It has allowed me to see a few friends.  I also have to send a big THANK-YOU to my co-workers in Salem that sent a check because they wanted to help pay for George's plane ticket.  You guys are awesome and have really been a great support.  Thank you so much!!

Brant is busy getting ready for the first day of school with the kids. They will be up tomorrow to visit - YEAH!!  I think he has the hardest job of all, especially with starting a new job at the same time as being a single dad.  You are truly awesome Brant and I love you!!  Good luck the next few weeks!  Thanks so much to our friends who have dropped off meals, included our kids in stuff, and given them rides when Brant couldn't be in three places at once.  My sister, especially, has been toting them all over the greater Hampton Roads area!!  Thanks everyone.  We could not travel this road alone.

1 comment:

kandi said...

So happy to read your posts and hear your progress. I see Miss Pat at least once a week (as she is always working in that yard or walking the dog). Your ears should be burning since we share info about you , Brant, and the kids ! You are always in my mind and in my prayers. Your positive attitude,faith, and family strength is as important as the medicine ! love you kandi