Thursday, August 22, 2013

Sista Support!

I would have updated this earlier in the evening, but first I had to refill my pill container for the week and that took some time!!!  I have one of those really big ones - 7days x four times a day.  I don't really want to count the pills, but it is between 20 and 25 each day....fun!  If I am working on an honorary PhD in oncology, I have to also be headed for a minor in pharmacy.

Mom went home Wednesday night for a little R&R (actually she probably worked harder down there catching up on stuff and doing the Food Pantry at church).   So my sister was up here to be the "caregiver".  It has been fun and she has done a good job.  Today when I got out of clinic, we packed up our lunch and had a little picnic in the shade on the Capitol grounds.  It was very nice weather and a good change of scenery!

Medically I am doing ok.  I don't feel awesome, but I keep my food and pills down, and seem to have pretty good strength.  It is nerve-wracking wondering if I am developing GVHD symptoms of if maybe I have picked up a bug or something.  Going to clinic each day is a bit tedious.  But the nurses are friendly and we have a regular crew in there getting our various fluids.  I am still a potassium, magnesium, saline fluid kind of client. Although yesterday my Hemoglobin had dropped and I got a unit of blood. This morning I had my weekly chest xray, so that was something different.

Today marks 4 months since we first found out it was Leukemia.  I was at work that morning and had a call around 3pm and left to meet Brant.  Since the kids were already home from school, we talked in the Panera Bread parking lot and drove around Blacksburg....funny what you remember.  Since then I have had 59 nights in the hospital, 40 nights at home, and 24 nights in the Hospitality House.  It has gone by so slowly, but it amazes me that we are already at the 4 month mark.  Just gotta keep plugging along and saying those prayers that slowly but surely I will be healthy again and back with my family.

2 comments:

Linda Aufenkamp said...

"Just gotta keep plugging along" is great advice for us all Rachel. Your road is harder and scarier than most but the same rules apply, if we all just keep "plugging along" we might get somewhere! Thanks for the uplifting attitude. --Linda Aufenkamp

George said...

Hi Rachel, looks like you had some fun with Ruth. I hope you two got to see all the marvellous monuments to George all over the capital. I certainly enjoyed that part of my visit! ;-)
We're enjoying the lull between sports seasons here. There was a bit of a potential crisis today as there was both a surfing competition and a basketball game on for Cyrus. Unfortunately, it's as flat as a mill pond so they cancelled the surfing.
Christopher and Katie appear to be going full speed. You're going to need a full time social secretary soon!
Love,
George A