Saturday, August 3, 2013

Day +3, Creepin'....

I never really liked or understood that Eric Church song "Creepin'" when it was popular, but it now has new meaning for me....lol.  Although time is passing slowly, we are making progress.  My fevers are not quite as severe.  They have put me on some heavy duty antibiotics and they appear to be keeping any infections at bay.  The allergy testing I had done before admission has already paid off since they have used two antibiotics that I was flagged as being allergic to.  So far no rashes either - yeah!  I also got a rather painful 3 month birth control shot today - like that was really critical....ha.  Actually, it is just to prevent any bleeding since I will have low blood counts for quite a while.

My energy is coming up a little but my stomach issues and nausea keep me feeling less than spunky.  I have been approved to receive IV nutrition if needed, but so far I am keeping down enough Gatorade, pretzels, crackers, and soup to not require it.  I am pretty sure I may never eat dry cheerios and drink Gatorade again in my life.  The exception for the Gatorade would be if I could drink it while playing in a beach volleyball tournament.

My white blood cell count is pretty much zero.  According to the "plan", right now George's stem cells should be setting up shop and making some new blood cells in my bone marrow.  This takes a little time and they expect my white cell count to start rising around Day 11-12.  Once his cells start showing up in my bloodstream, the next phase is "training" them to behave in my body.  Most of that will be done on an outpatient basis.

We had a minor crisis today when the iPad quit working.  Mom has become such a pro on that thing. You would not believe how her hunt and peck technique on the touch screen has evolved over the last three months!!  So it was with great relief when the thing mysteriously turned back on, and all is well in our hospital room again.

Have a nice weekend everyone - enjoy your families!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have many people praying for you. We continue to lift you and your family up in our prayers at Northwest Baptist Church. I personally have continued to ask about you because I too had cancer (Breast) in 2006. I learned about your cancer, journey and remission through talking with and getting to know Lois and George through the Portsmouth Baptist Association.
Our God is Awesome and we know that even Cancer has no power over our Lord and Savior!

kandi said...

Guess your feeling a little bit like a turtle, slow and steady wins the race !!! I am now praying for fast growing stem cells and finding food that will suit you . Saw MIss Pat and she loves it when i share the blog with her . You continue to be amazing and your whole family is awesome! love ya