Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day +18

You can tell when I don't have much clever to write about because my title is just my "Day" post transplant.  It is funny in clinic, though, because it is the first question most people ask..."So, what day are you?"  One guy pins a little piece of construction paper on the front of his hat announcing his day.  Guess he got tired of being asked, or maybe he is just really happy for each day....as we all are.

We are settling in pretty well post-hospital.  We report to the clinic at 9 am each morning where they draw labs to check my blood counts and electrolytes.  Then I go over to the transfusion room where they give me repletions for anything that is low.  You pretty much see the same folks every day who are recent transplanters plus a few others that mix in and out but aren't on the daily routine.  My blood count levels have been good, but I get magnesium, potassium, and a bag of fluid each day.  We are usually out of there by 1pm.  They have really nice recliners and heated blankets to try to make your stay as pleasant as possible.  And of course very nice nurses, too!

Back at the Hospitality House, mom is working to keep me drinking and eating enough.  My stomach/appetite still hasn't returned to normal and nothing tastes any good.  Based on conversations with other transplant patients, it may be a while. But it is still good to have access to a wider variety of foods.  Today my sister Ruth came up to visit and fixed a delicious (I think) roasted chicken.  It was like having Sunday dinner together.  Yesterday Brant and Chris visited.  We had fun playing pool down in the lobby area and ordered pizza for them.  I had a pre-packaged frozen meal...yum yum! Katie is finally back home today from her big trip and I can't wait to see her when the kids visit next.

I have been pretty homesick but appreciate all of the comments, mail, email, texts, facebook, etc support that I receive to encourage me to be strong and keep fighting.  I really have to focus on the Step by Step, Day by Day attitude and have faith that God will see us through...even if it does feel like forever!!!


2 comments:

George said...

Heated blankets! Luxury I say, absolute luxury. I can assure you they don't break out heated blankets when the donors schlep in for their shots. ;->

Great to hear that you are getting a constant stream of visits - the mountain is coming to Moses I guess. Katie must be over the moon after Cooperstown - I hope you get some of her buzz soon.

I can't do anything about the taste buds, but if your mind is getting stale I highly commend https://www.coursera.org/ to you. You can download the videos while you are at clinic and watch them at Club HH. Lots of variety and it doesn't matter if you are late joining a class. All the content is there to suck down.

Xoxo,
"Donor"
aka George A

John Brisbin said...

Coursera is cool, and you'll have a good time with it.
On the side, how about learning Portuguese or something? Try the absolutely amazing duolingo.com
Check out the associated TEDtalk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQl6jUjFjp4&feature=player_detailpage
Much love from this side of the world...